Oil Boiler Service - did he do it correctly?

[I thought I saw a FGA used in the 70`s - liquids changing colour when exposed to a drop of sniffed gas --- OR am I thinking of a concert I went to ;)

This would be a 'Fyrite' kit, using absorption solutions to measure CO2 and CO. Along with a smoke pump and a thermometer, it will do exactly what a FGA does today. It is still allowed as a viable option to satisfy the OFTEC analysis requirement.[/quote]

My God ... just had a relapse back to my apprenticeship ... cold sweats and fear have struck me .... that big angry fitter screaming at me .... think I need some therapy .. had blocked it all out till you mentioned the word Fyrite .. Crying now ...just had to type the word

Cmon chaps lighten up a bit .. still see the old boy that I did my time with and still feel that hes forgotten more than I will ever know and this year is my 30th as an engineer ... Most of us that work on oil regulary have a feel for it but Im sure we all use a FGA
Me .. I do smoke test, new nozzle, reset pump pressure and the FGA is normally spot on and of course we clean out the boiler etc etc
Oil service we charge 100+vat for ones we have fitted .. if its our first visit for boiler we have not fitted 120+vat ... and yes we are busy

Sponsored Links
Jeez I hate oil boilers and my dream is to send every last one to the Chinamans great big melting pot but it does seem that there are others who seem to be trying harder than I..... I seem to be picking up more and more customers who are dissatisfied with their existing oil man and when I open them up I can see why.... Filters that have never been replaced and full of gunge, nozzles that are so old that the specs are in latin and combustion chambers that are either solid with soot or look like they have been in an accident with a lorry carrying limestone.... This mornings boiler had me wondering if I should use my SDS breaker to free the baffles and my henry needed a second bag but there is nothing nicer than leaving what had been a neglected wreck purring like a kitten....Albeit a kitten with terminal flatulence...

Did I mention that I hate oil?

I fail to see how he could do this.
Since the burner is in the combustion chamber and there is usually
no sight glass.
Removing the burn and looking at the flame wouldn't work as this would
change the amount of air getting at the burner.

Sorry only way I can see it done is smoke test pump and the flue
gas analyzer.
what do you think was done 20 odd years ago when there was no fga ?????
I thought I saw a FGA used in the 70`s - liquids changing colour when exposed to a drop of sniffed gas --- OR am I thinking of a concert I went to ;)
my father used this sort of kit.as for me slightly before my time.regarding the fga i was refering to the electronic devices. as for the procedure to set a twentyish year old boiler up without a fga i do not think it would be possible to explain.i think you need to be there in the flesh.different burners different burn patterns etc etc

And of course the sort of experience that you cannot obtain on a 4 Day Oftec course!! :evil: :rolleyes:

By the way this post started way back in 2006, which was before oil fired Condensing boilers were manditory!!! :p

Sponsored Links
And of course the sort of experience that you cannot obtain on a 4 Day Oftec course!! :evil: :rolleyes:

By the way this post started way back in 2006, which was before oil fired Condensing boilers were manditory!!! :p
i came accross this thread by accident and it annoyed me that much i had to join up and reply.i never noticed the 2006 start date...yea 4 day oftec course ya gotta laugh.i had to do 5 years.welding,brazing,gas fitting,oil supply,dhw,pipe threading ,servicing hospital boilers you could sit and have your lunch in,staffa benders,steam lines,lead burning,stick welders,welding 12" mild steel tube,asbestos lagging,sanitation ahh theres two words i would rather forget.lying in a heating duct removing asbestos sections from 4" heating mains while the journey man stood up wind.those were the days.what happened to apprenticeships?is there still such a thing?

Good stuff freeoil. A lot of skill sets in there.
I bet your ancestors worked on the Titanic.
I know it sank but had four day course cowboys been around then it would never have left the dock.
Though that might have been a good thing. :mrgreen:

Good stuff freeoil. A lot of skill sets in there.
I bet your ancestors worked on the Titanic.
I know it sank but had four day course cowboys been around then it would never have left the dock.
Though that might have been a good thing. :mrgreen:
norcon i would say a lot of forgotten skill sets.i do not think i mentioned the words "four day course cowboys" as we all have to start somewhere.my replys were directed and about chestnut plumbings remarks and attitude etc...regarding the titanic i think there was more english,scottish and welsh than local people involved on the start to finish project.
how was your apprenticeship days?any good memorys?have you ever seen somebody hit on the head with a tailor ring?

Was talking to new so called clued up Engineer the other day, who told me he dosent need a smoke pump on his Oil Boilers cos his state of the art FGA does all that. Probably gives a blow job aswell :LOL: must get one.

I still use a Bacharach Fyrite kit for oil.

Change the fluid when necessary and nowt to go wrong.

No printer though, so not for you young boys with new toys!
;)

Some of you "old Hands" might be interested to know that my Company are about to recruit an Apprentice, who will study Commercial Heating & Ventilation Service & Maintenance for Two years reaching NVQ-3 before being sent to Oheck and ACS Gas training - so as near as a modern world will allow to getting a "Proper old fashioned apprenticship!! ;)

Some of you "old Hands" might be interested to know that my Company are about to recruit an Apprentice, who will study Commercial Heating & Ventilation Service & Maintenance for Two years reaching NVQ-3 before being sent to Oheck and ACS Gas training - so as near as a modern world will allow to getting a "Proper old fashioned apprenticship!! ;)

Nice to hear that Boilerman2, if he/she does well, the world will be their Oyster.

ahh,so at least theres a bit of hope in the PIPELINE.

slapper if you come accross one of those devices with bells,whistles and gives a good B-----B ill have two of them! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back