Oil boiler suddenly stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As of this evening, my boiler has given up the ghost - no heating, no hot water. All the lights are on on the programmble control panel, I can hear water moving through the pipes due to vales being switched (presumably) when I turn the thermostat higher/lower. But no sounds from the boiler of it firing up - just silence.

The boiler is a Danesmoor 15/19

The controller is a Honeywell TF 830.3 - the red light is on - pressing the button (with light inside) causes the light to go off and the controller to buzz, then after a few seconds the buzzing stops and the red light comes back on.

There's plenty of oil in the tank.

Any ideas please, or is it plumber time?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
We seem to be getting a few of these recently.....is the burner just buzzing, or do you think the motor is actually spinning, prior to ignition?
John :)

It must be catching (maybe it's got my damn cold).

Anyhow, I can't exactly figure out where the buzzing is coming from - it's either the controller or, I assume, the motor - it's not a loud buzz though, more like the sound of a loud mosquitoe.

I'm fairly sure the motor isn't spinning. Pump fault perhaps? as when it normally fires up I'm used to hearing a whirring sound first then the sound of the oil igniting (or whatever happens).

There's a good chance that the motor start capacitor has gone awol.....without that, the motor doesn't know which way to spin, so it just hums.
Dead easy to check with the motor on the bench, but the pump has to come off the back of the motor first.
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back