Oil Burner Safety Control (TF830.3) - red light was on .......

Good point about the pump pressure, I don't know why he didn't measure it either.

I now recall that he did think that the pump was the most likely cause of the issue but then said it would cost about £200 to replace (cost of pump plus his labour) but I wasn't keen on paying £200 for a possible non-repair.

Is the pump tricky to replace? Tempted to buy one and do it myself ......... or is that against safety guidelines as I'm not a certified boiler engineer, etc?

Thanks for that extra info too.

Sponsored Links
Have never replaced one, but definitely get the pressure checked out first and a flue gas analysis.

The pump pressure is easy to adjust, 5mm allen key needed. The required pump pressure should be on a sticker under the boiler top panel.
Pressure gauges are cheap enough, a flue gas analyser extremely expensive!
Best to check the pump pressure before venturing further.
Now I will stick my neck out.......if you don't adjust the plastic air door, then all should be well from previous work (I hope!)
Changing the pump is dead easy - disconnect the kerosene inlet pipe and the thin one taking high pressure fuel to the nozzle, undo the three allen grub screws and out it comes.
There is a small plastic coupling between the pump and motor, this gives little trouble.
You'll see a fuel tap within the boiler casing.....be warned, they often leak!
John :)

Sponsored Links
It would be a sound move to replace the coil and capacitor first
Cheap and the capacitor can be fitted loose without removing old one .

would something like the following be needed to measure the oil pressure?
I have something similar. I use mine together with a Pressure Gauge Manifold, though they seem to have gone up in price since I got mine. Not totally essential but very convenient imo.

The pressure gauge screws into the port marked P, the manifold extension makes the job much easier!
I have the two gauge kit shown on your link which has a flexy length of tube too.
Put some ptfe on the threads first.
It’s always good to have a solenoid coil in as a spare too.....they used to be notorious for failure but the Diamond ones are better. Simple to fit, undo the top nut with pliers and plug it in - no need to replace the cable. They are expensive ( around £35) and new pumps come complete with one.
If you go for a new pump, the pressure must be adjusted, and yours will be around the 100 to 110 psi area I imagine.
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back