Oil Filled radiator Help!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife came home with an oil filled radiator, now.......we live in an old place that has ancient wiring, still have a wired fuse box for example.
I know there are strict rules for electricity in the bathroom, now I want to know if it can be wired off the lighting circuit, or does it need a dedicated supply.
Any help would be gratefully received

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't do it like that, what KW rating is it?
Either a dedicated supply or a supply off a socket circuit is more normal, saying that it opens a can of worms if you don't have RCD protection of all circuits in the bathroom. Ideally you need an electrician to take a look.

Blimey that was quick!!
It says on the box 150 Watts 240v 50 Hz Can't see any KW rating, it does say it needs to be protected by a 30mA differential circuit breaker and that it should be connected to a fused connection unit incorporating contact separation in all poles.
I don't understand any of that so that is why I am asking here.

What make/model of radiator is it?

You have three challenges:
1. Is the radiator suitable for use in a bathroom? I just had a look at a couple on the web and they are not suitable.
2. Where will you power it from? A lighting circuit is VERY unlikely to be meaty enough for even a modest heater. Sockets are not allowed in bathrooms within 3metres of a bath/shower.
3. Wherever it is powered from will have to be RCD protected. Given the age of your installation, I wonder if you have RCD protection, at all.

Sponsored Links
What make/model of radiator is it?

You have three challenges:
1. Is the radiator suitable for use in a bathroom? I just had a look at a couple on the web and they are not suitable.
2. Where will you power it from? A lighting circuit is VERY unlikely to be meaty enough for even a modest heater. Sockets are not allowed in bathrooms within 3metres of a bath/shower.
3. Wherever it is powered from will have to be RCD protected. Given the age of your installation, I wonder if you have RCD protection, at all.

It is a towel rail, where else would you put one ?
Could I not fit a RCD attachment to my old fashioned fuse board ?

It is a towel rail, where else would you put one ?
Could I not fit a RCD attachment to my old fashioned fuse board ?

Ah, thats a bit clearer.
You will need RCD protection on the feed for the radiator. It is possible to fit a RCD to the circuit, but not easily to a wired fusebox.
Usually the radiator would be powered from a socket circuit. Usually you would put a fused connector there with an RCD. Is there a suitable socket near the bathroom?

Last edited:
I have an RCD to one circuit in my fuse board now following an earlier electrical problem.
There is a kitchen separated by a small hallway with an available plug circuit.

Or would it be easier to take the radiator back and get a fan heater ?

Hi, if you want to heat the room quickly just for the duration of a bath or shower a wall mounted bathroom fan heater is the answer. It does not matter what you install it MUST be done properly.
Dimplex do a bathroom fan heater.

Regards,

DS

A RCD FCU
ae235
can be used. But this is not really a DIY job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back