OIL HEATING LOCK OUTS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when i turn on my oil CH for either hot water or heat it just keeps cutting out and i try and press the over ride switch on the fire (in front of the back boiler) but the system keeps locking out. Honeywell Oil CH. PLEASE PLEASE can anyone help

Sponsored Links
I have never heard of an OIL back boiler with an ( OIL ) fire in front of it!

Can you identify the boiler brand and model please?

Tony

I have a customer up in Bolton with an oil back boiler with an integral electric fire in front of it that has access to the reset button (can't recall the maker/brand).
Have you checked that you've got oil?
Is the oil filter clear?
Does the burner attempt to run and lock out or make very little noise before locking out?

As Tony suggests you need to give a bit information on the boiler and the symptoms.

Hi there,
The type is a Beta Sorrento monoflame and model no is 15/18H but apparently they have stopped making them now.
I definitely have oil but the tank did get lower than usual (just below a fifth of tank left) before i had delivery. not sure where the filter is ??
After i turn it on it works fine for a few minutes but its slightly noisier than usual and then it does making a clicking sound a few times before it locks out completely.
Really appreciate any advice
Many Thanks
kim

Sponsored Links
If the problem started after the new delivery it seems possible that sediment was disturbed and is clogging the delivery pipe.

Are you quite sure the tank was still 20% full ?

Tony

must be the most common problem with oil faults.doesnt matter if 20 or 50% left before refill. the flow the refill hits will disturb any sediment,takes at least an hour recommended before use of the burner.anyway sounds like a classic case of the fillters clogged up on all sides eg tank,burner.

Hi Kim
That's the make I was thinking of, there are a few about and most OFTEC fellas should be able to sort out any problems with it.
5th of a tank isn't really very low - could be a number of problems causing it to lock out, as Tony suggests clogged supply line (filter would be easily checked if you know what you're looking for). But could also be oil pump, motor, solenoid coil...(and before any pedants jump in I'm not suggesting those causes in that order or limiting the causes to these things only)

If you call out an OFTEC engineer be sure to tell him it's not working rather than just booking a service, you can't service a boiler that's not working and a breakdown is costs extra!

you need to call an oftec engineer, not realy a diy fix. Sounds like you have a flame sensing fault, photocell. Have you had the correct grade of oil delivered. Don't keep pressing the re-set, its making a mess inside chamber, engineer won't appreciate it.

Hi Kim
I note you posted a year ago that the oil tank cap was missing letting in rainwater, did you ever clear the crud out - if not this could be the route cause of your current problem (have you had it serviced in the past year?)
Sounds like the photocell is doing it's job IMO, it's more likely oil starvation(blocked supply line) causing oil pump to squeal(nosier than usual), burner attempts to fire(clicking sounds),can't, so flame sensing device doesn't let the control box go to the next stage.
Can you let us know what the problem was when it's sorted?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back