Oil heating problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`ve searched for a possible solution but can`t find a problem similar to mine on here.

I have a Grant oil burner which is situated outside behind my garage.
1st problem I noticed was a few weeks ago when my oil ran out.It seemed to be no time since I bought 100 gallon and it ran out after about 2 months.Anyway,I got another 100 gallon and bled it and all was fine until Friday past.I noticed a funny smell in my back garden but thought it t be something that someone else was burning.That night after I switched my heating off,warm water started to pour out of the overflow.Next,on Saturday(yesterday) I noticed the smell again and happened to notice black and white fumes coming from the flue to the rear of the burner.Last night after I switched the heating off,again warm water came out of the overflow and the heating would not switch on at all.This morning I tried to switch it on and still nothing.Checked fuses,made sure power wa s going out to the burner and all was ok.I saw a button on the thermostat situated within the burner housing(it has a temperature dial on it) so I pressed it and switched on the heating and it came on:) but more smoke...I then adjusted the air damper on the burner and the smoke disappeared and the heating was fine....until I switched it off...more warm/hot water coming from the overflow and the damned heating won`t switch on..Doing my head in and the wife is going off on 1 because she is cold:l
During all this..all radiators heat up and the hot water is nice and hot as well.
Water has never came out the overflow in the 5.5 yars we have lived here.
It`s a new house.
Last service was 3 years ago.
I know next to nothing about plumbing btw.
I`ll get a plumber in as soon as I can but would like to know if this is serious and to have some sort of idea what a plumber may say so I`m not going to get fleeced.(no offence meant to any decent plumbers btw)
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
By the overflow do you mean the prv??If so that will prob need replacing +the cause of it opening in first place will have to be identified.As for the smoke part of your problem it will need a service-the oil pressure/air damper needs setting up with a flu gas analyser.

All we know about your boiler is that it smells and is a Grant.
Is it a conventional boiler or a combi?
Do you have a hot water cylinder?
Do you have a tank in the loft?

I know nothing about heating or plumbing.
The boiler heats water and radiators and is about 5 years old.
When I say overflow I mean a pipe that sticks out of the fascia board above my bathroom and comes from a tank in the loft.
There are 2 tanks in the loft,a large plastic round 1 and a smaller squarish 1.
Yes I have a hot water cylinder which can heat independently of the oil heating by electric (immersion heater)

Sponsored Links
Surely you know that an oil boiler in particular needs at least annual servicing?

If its old then every six months might even be advisable.

Without servicing and if its been run too rich ( black smoke ) then its probably going to need a lot of de-sooting to clean it out which because its very dirty and time consuming will cost a bit.

Clearly your attitude to your boiler seems to be dont get it serviced because you think you are going to get "fleeced". Obviously I dont know what you consider fleecing is but a routine service during the summer at about £75 would seem to be good value to me.

Now you have a breakdown during cold weather! That could be considerable more as it will need cleaning.

Tony

.I then adjusted the air damper on the burner and the smoke disappeared and the heating was fine....until I switched it off...more warm/hot water coming from the overflow and the damned heating won`t switch on

then you did a smoke test and a combustion analysis

failling that get a rip off "plumber " with the kit

BTW check the solenoid valve is closing when off :idea:

Great.
Lots of useful and helpful replies.
Just what I wanted.That will help my heating tremendously.

Thanks?

It's always a pleasure helping someone who thinks everyone who earns money from doing a job is a rip-off merchant. Thank you also for the consise and accurate details of your system, this makes it so much easier to diagnose the fault. In this case the fault appears to be the owner. :D

Do you really consider a full annual service at £75 as "getting fleeced"?

I hope you understand that oil boiler engineers have to exist for the whole of the year on routine annual services.

The few repairs are still only charged at reasonable rates and if you take into account the travelling time the hourly rate becomes quite low compared with a solicitor ( £250 ), dentist (£300 ) or an accountant ( £90 ).

Tony

Homer20Simpson.jpg

I know next to nothing about plumbing btw.
I`ll get a plumber in as soon as I can but would like to know if this is serious and to have some sort of idea what a plumber may say so I`m not going to get fleeced.(no offence meant to any decent plumbers btw)

Where did you get the idea that I didn`t want to pay a standard rate?
I didn`t want a plumber coming in and thinking he could palm me off with all sorts of horror stories and end up paying for stuff I don`t need.
Hence the time taken to ask a simple quetion to a forum full of heating experts?

Anyway,after paying a good plumber £60 for a routine service including a thorough clean to remove the soot and do something which has cured my problem I do consider £75 for a "routine" service ,a case of being fleeced.

Yes I`ve learnt a lesson which will mean regular servicing at around £35 a time from a reputable plumber/heating engineer(forgive my lack of knowledge as to what to call these guys` actual trade).

Anyway,thanks for all the un-useful tips lads.
Except the regular service tip which was purely a case of procastination on my part.

d4rren said:
Yes I`ve learnt a lesson which will mean regular servicing at around £35 a time from a reputable plumber/heating engineer(forgive my lack of knowledge as to what to call these guys` actual trade).

rofl5.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl5.gif

Forgot to mention I`m in Northern Ireland.
Dunno if that makes a difference

And Mr Agile comparing himself to an accountant,solicitor and dentist

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back