1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Oil sump suntion pump

Discussion in 'Car Repairs / Maintenance' started by DIYspanner, 7 Apr 2021.

1. DIYspanner

DIYspanner

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Anybody got one of these? .........currently on sale at Lidl.

Just curious if sucking the oil out of the sump is on par with draining via the sump plug which I've always done. I usually have the front of the car up or down a bit, depending which puts the sump plug at the lowest point of the sump.

2. ReganAndCarter

ReganAndCarter

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Maybe quicker on some cars with sump covers to remove, but just as quick on my car or van to slide pan under on a large tray, whip the bolt out and let gravity do it's job. While I go off and put the kettle on. At least I know all the oil has been removed.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Munroist

Munroist

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    depends on what type of car, some of them you can't !

5. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I use a manual vacuum suction pump if the car has a muck cover fitted and the oil filter is also accessible from the top. I bought a 12v pump to fill the auto gearbox oil on my Evoque from underneath when I did a partial drain and flush. Got through 20 litres of auto fluid.

062BE80E-6E3E-4ACB-B112-1CB691D197C4.jpeg

6. Sponsored Links
  7. DIYspanner

DIYspanner

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks All for the feedback. I think the scales tip in favour of draining by the sump plug and since I always get the plug at the lowest point, a better drain.

Having said that I drained via the sump plug on a '94 C220 petrol a few back and what came out was like brown muddy water and bounce out of the drain pan, all over the place. I had to get a full kitchen roll from the owner's misses to clean the garage floor. Apparently the oil that came out was W5 brand (Lidl) 10w40.