Oil tank - good practice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If not using the boiler, is it good practice / advisable to cut off the oil supply from the tank?

If so, what period of time of non-use would warrent this? A few days? A week? A month?

Is there any downside in switching off the oil feed?

Thanks for any opinions.

Sponsored Links
I don't know many people that turn off th oil at the tank, the danger is you will forget to turn it on again before reusing the boiler which may cause an air lock in the fuel pump and lines requiring an engineer's visit and expense ;)

Why not take the opportunity to clean or replace all of the filters, and have the burner serviced too?
Much better than doing it on Christmas morning.......
John :)

Thanks for replies
New tank recently installed + new filter, and boiler serviced.
If switching off supply I'd put a label on the boiler control to say 'Oil off'.

Concensus seems to be however that there's no point switching off supply while I'm away.....

Sponsored Links
I don't know many people that turn off th oil at the tank, the danger is you will forget to turn it on again before reusing the boiler which may cause an air lock in the fuel pump and lines requiring an engineer's visit and expense ;)

That's hardly danger.

Danger is leaving it on and a leak in the boiler giving you an unpleasant homecoming. Now THAT is expensive.

Hmm.
So boilerman2 seems to advise leaving oil-line on, while Oilman advises turning it off.

50/50 split.

Any other opinions?

If your new oil tank is top outlet with anti-siphon device then there is hardly any risk, if it is a bottom outlet and gravity feed then it would be advisable to turn off.

Mines bottom fed & I never turn it off even when on extended holiday; my oil burner also supplements the solar heating system in summer, don’t you use yours for HW then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back