Oil tank (plastic) - protect from the sun with a tarpaulin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I understand things, the sun can damage plastic oil tanks over the years. My oil tank used to be protected from the sun by a few trees but these had to be removed as they were in danger of blowing over onto the oil tank.

Now of course the oil tank has no protection from the sun and I was pondering wrapping it right around with a thin plastic tarpaulin held in place with a couple of bungee cords wrapped around the circumference of the tank (I'd leave the front side exposed though as it faces north and never sees the sun).

Does this sound like a reasonable solution? (I know some people build covers/small wooden structures around their tanks but to build something strong enough to survive my windy area would cost a small fortune. A tarpaulin seems like a much cheaper solution).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The sun will probably damage the tarpaulin in a year or two anyhow and it will look ugly.
New regs means any materials near oil tanks have to be non combustible.

I see, but I guess if the tarp is damaged by the sun I can replace it far easier than the oil tank.

I wasn't aware of the new regs you mentioned, I guess I'll dispense with the tarpaulin idea then (or see if I can find one that's non-combustible).

Or can anyone think of a suitable fireproof/non-combustible material which I could wrap around the tank to protect it from the sun?

Last edited:
Regs now say oil tanks must be 760mm minimum distance from anything combustible, - like a hedge, tree, wooden fence, etc.
But few existing oil tanks actually would pass new regs.
Trees overhanging are good at keeping sun from damaging tanks, as you said.
I can’t think of anything you could wrap over a tank that would be suitable.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back