OLD Cooker Connection to Normal Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps

I have a old socket for old cooker I have skipped, see attached its the thick I think 6mm cable to the right, the other cable to the left is just a feed from there to the hood so dead unless I connect underneath for another socket above.

Question is can I use the old thicker cable white on pic to add a socket, probably double I can use there.

Fuse pic attached too with cooker written on.

Any advise appreciated, from what I have found I can change to a socket but wanted to check.

Thanks

Attachments

• cooker socket.jpg
    cooker socket.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 56
  • cooker fuse.jpg
    cooker fuse.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
Question is can I use the old thicker cable white on pic to add a socket, probably double I can use there.
Yes.

Are you not having a cooker/hob/oven?

Fuse pic attached too with cooker written on.
You could alter that to indicate its new purpose.

Any advise appreciated, from what I have found I can change to a socket but wanted to check.
Yes, no problem.

Yes.

Are you not having a cooker/hob/oven?

You could alter that to indicate its new purpose.

Yes, no problem.
Agh great EFl thanks for quick response, no cooker going in we use air fryer and a 2 ring normal induction unit, cookers just done need anymore, I will stick a double on the cable, I suppose if anything its overkill as thickness will carry socket need easy.

Sponsored Links
If your old cable is being reused and it is 6.0 or 4.0 T & E you could also spur off to a second twin socket if needed using a 30A fuse or a 32A MCB but as Flameport states it must have an RCD, you could add a stand alone RCD in its own housing next to the consumer unit if space permits, that might or might not be useful.
Actually if its only 2.5 T & E you could still do it with a 20A or 16A MCB if that will not be less load than you require.
It`s not easy to be absolutely certain of the cable size with a photo.
One word of caution though - seeing it is old rewireable fuses in the consumer unit it would be advisable to have an EICR undertaken by a pro because there might be other hidden things requiring attention do to the likely age of the installation.

The RCD comments relate to professionals carrying out the work.

It’s no less safe that the rest of the house.

The RCD comments relate to professionals carrying out the work.
They apply to anyone installing new socket outlets. There is no distinction between 'professional' or anyone else.

It’s no less safe that the rest of the house.
An excuse used by people in an attempt to justify not doing things properly.

Some of the older rwires I did with rewireable fuses and no RCD (loadsa them) seemed ok at the time but i would not omit RCDs these days.

In fact when they started to become popular they were seen as a bit OTT by many.

In fact I was asked by many Electricians why I talked the customers into having RCDs and I replied for safety.
I always gave a price and recommended RCDs as extras but talked the customers into having them stating "well if it saves your dogs life you`d have one!"

Thanks all much appreciated, I will be getting an electrician at some point soon to replace the older fuse box but as the cooker is gone and not being replaced the wife wants the fridge freezer there instead, so hence the ask to use the cable for a double socket there, and given advise I can go ahead with that, alternative is to pull out the old cable or just add terminals to a block and not use as pulling out wont be easy, if I did that I would spur off an existing kitchen socket if that would be better?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back