Old Flat Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I converted a house into two self contained flats in 1980 with all the necessary planning consents and building regulations at that time. What additional work would i have to do get it the current standards or at least get it to the 1991 Building regulation Standards.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It all depends on how you intend to use them ie rental/sale/owner occupier.

Rental is the biggest headache now with you having to be licensed if your property falls into a certain criteria.

The biggest revamp is in insulation noise, fire ,protection. The u values vary depending on new build/extension/refurbishment.

Gas outlets have been tightened up over the years which may see an 1980s install requiring updating esp balance flued boilers and open gas fires.

Electric showers now need higher levels of protection to include rcds double pole switches.

Your best course of action would be to contact your local building control for advice I find mine very helpful and informative and they love getting out of the office.
Pete

The First floor was sold on a long lease for 125 years in 1991 and the lessee himself lives there. I still own the ground floor flat but i rent it out.

What do u mean by U value?

Just for further info i'm planning on doin a single story ground floor extension to the rear of the flat. I'm also planning on installing a new combi boiler. At the same time i will refurbish the ground floor flat and i am thinking this is probabaly the best time to upgrade the flat conversion too to the new standards.

What would the necessary work include and what would be the approx costs of these works for example of:
Insulation for noise.
Fire Protection.

Considering the two flats are 2 bedroom and are in London.

Sponsored Links
If the top floor is already leased no requirement for any work by you unless structural roof etc it is down to the lessee, think I spelt it right.

As for costs too many variables without a site visit.

U values are the measurement of heat flow through any given combination of materials, air layers, and air spaces.
Basically nowadays you require alot of insulation so as not too lose heat through your walls roofs floors and windows.
Each area is given a u value which you must meet.

You are not looking at a massive investment however the thermal sheets are alot more expensive than simple plasterboard and mineral wool.
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back