Old Heating System

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi

Wonder can anyone help.

I have purchased a house which has an old round timer with 2 on and 2 off settings. Beside the timer I have 2 switches one for heating/clock on & off and other for pump. I have also a back boiler in the fire.

I am not sure best way to use this. I have not lit the fire yet but I presume that when I do after while I switch the pump on to heat water or radiators?? Also I have had heating on with pump on and this heats radiators and with pump off this only heats water would this be correct?

I also have been checking my tank in hot press and this only heats half way to the top the bottom half still cold. I have a electric power shower which I think is dual feed (hot and cold) so uses half the tank very quickly, should the heating not be heating the whole tank?

I also have an immersion heater which would has been on for an hour and only gives a little hot water as well.

I can post pics of system if required, any ideas how I can improve this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
TBH, unless you KNOW ithas been recently PROPERLY serviced, Iwould advise that you find an RGI experienced with back boilers to check it.

Sponsored Links
Can this timer be replaced to a programmed one?

Attachments

• DSC_0752.JPG
    DSC_0752.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 103
I have purchased a house which has an old round timer with 2 on and 2 off settings. Beside the timer I have 2 switches one for heating/clock on & off and other for pump. I have also a back boiler in the fire.

I am not sure best way to use this. I have not lit the fire yet but I presume that when I do after while I switch the pump on to heat water or radiators?? Also I have had heating on with pump on and this heats radiators and with pump off this only heats water would this be correct?

It would be correct. Normally the "heating/clock on & off" switch is left 'on' so that the clock keeps to time. Although, you could switch it off during the summer when the heating isn't in use if you wanted to.

1. Summer- The open fire is lit, this will heat the back boiler and also the hot water cylinder by natural circulation, so you will just get hot water. (Pump switch remains off)

2. Winter - When central heating is required, switching the pump switch 'on' will allow the timer to operate the pump and circulate the hot water through the radiators according to the timed settings.

If you want to replace that timeswitch for a single channel programmer, you can, and will operate the system in the same way that it works now.

It's normal for the bottom of the hot water cylinder to be cold, because that's where the cold water enters it. Hot water rises to the top where it is drawn off by the taps.

One other thing the hot water cylinder is small can this be replaced with a larger one? If so is it a big expensive job to do?

It would be correct. Normally the "heating/clock on & off" switch is left 'on' so that the clock keeps to time. Although, you could switch it off during the summer when the heating isn't in use if you wanted to.

1. Summer- The open fire is lit, this will heat the back boiler and also the hot water cylinder by natural circulation, so you will just get hot water. (Pump switch remains off)

2. Winter - When central heating is required, switching the pump switch 'on' will allow the timer to operate the pump and circulate the hot water through the radiators according to the timed settings.

If you want to replace that timeswitch for a single channel programmer, you can, and will operate the system in the same way that it works now.

It's normal for the bottom of the hot water cylinder to be cold, because that's where the cold water enters it. Hot water rises to the top where it is drawn off by the taps.

Stem, if I leave the heating on with timer for say heat in the mornings is it OK to leave pump switched on?? Just I can hear some clicking and when I switch pump off the clicking stops!

The pump should be wired to the timeswitch anyway, so that when the pump switch is 'on' the pump will only run according to the times set on the timeswitch.

So, normally in the cold weather, the pump switch will be left permanently 'on' and the pump will come on and off according to the timed settings. The switch is only turned 'off' in the summer when you don't want the radiators on.

Pumps are continually rated anyway, so no problem even if they run 24/7. Not sure about the clicking though. Pumps don't normally do that, although the pipes connected to them often do, because of them expanding as they heat up.

I don't know about the cost of the hot water cylinder [my background is electrical] but you should be able to find a price for a larger cylinder. I swapped mine over easily in a day, so I guess for a professional it shouldn't be a big job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back