Old hotspur boiler ignition problems

Paying for a Diagnosis will be money down the drain - Reason... NO PARTS ARE AVAILIBLE for this Ex-Boiler do not waste time or money its Xmas in 2 weeks and you may find yourself in a cold house for christmas as I have said many times now NEW BOILER REQUIRED! this is truly impartial advice as I am not going to be the one fitting it am I ?

Oil & Gas Service Engineer with 36 years experience!!
(seen it, done it, heard the explosion!) ;)

Sponsored Links
Brown9932";p="1828088 said:
Now I'm lost!

Your boiler runs through a sequence on start up, if I remenber correctly with a DAS AD6 control box. If you remove the green cover of this box you will see six cams that are driven by a motor, Do not attempt to turn these cams by hand. If you now switch the boiler on, presuming it is not on lock out you will see these cams begin to turn, which in turn activate a series of micro switches. When the ignition is due or attempting to take place note which micro switch is being activated by the cam. This micro switch may be the culprit by not making contact properly, try pushing a screw driver between it and the cam to see if ignition starts. Be patient the whole sequence takes about 7 minutes. Bearing in mind that you have hopefully taken Burnerman2`s comments on board

spraggo

Hotspur Does not use DAS AD6 it has a Honeywell R867A (or something similar-i havn't seen one in 20 years!) :rolleyes:

Hotspur Does not use DAS AD6 it has a Honeywell R867A (or something similar-i havn't seen one in 20 years!) :rolleyes:

Thanks mate, as I said I was judging from memory, I take it that it was the Wilson Wallflame that had these then.??

Sponsored Links
Wilson Wallflame MK IV and on had AD6 the older ones and the original Oilheat models had R867A basically if a Rim heater is fitted it will be AD6
as the Teddington AD6 was developed for the new generation wallflame with Preheat and a DC Brake on the motor ;)

Brown9932";p="1828088 said:
Now I'm lost!
Does anyone know of any good lads up north Yorkshire way who'd be able to diagnose it?
I'm 20 miles north of York![/quote

If you were 30miles south of York I would call and confirm the fault.

But as spares are no longer availlable it would be £55.00 Wasted.

Now I'm lost!
Does anyone know of any good lads up north Yorkshire way who'd be able to diagnose it?
I'm 20 miles north of York!
You could try your oil supplier and see if they can recommend anyone (won't be cheap though) but as boilerman2 recommends maybe it's time for a new one as many parts no longer available.

I too have an ancient Hotspur which occasionally has the same symptoms.
This actually happened an hour before I found the above posts.

The transformer needs a secure earth, or the high voltages will damage it. Make sure it's tightened down to the base of the boiler.

The usual problem I have is that, over time, the spark gap gets too wide, and the HT can't jump the gap easily, also it needs to be at the right height.

1) With the power definitely switched off, take off the front cover and manoeuvre the flame fail rod unit out to allow access to the chamber.

2) Ensure the spark electrode is slightly below the level of the heat spreaders, and the end is between about 1/4" (6mm) to 3/8" (8mm) maximum away from the striking plate. This will allow a good spark into the atomised oil, and keep the electrode a bit cooler, giving it a bit longer life.

3) Replace the flame fail rod unit, and refit the cover.

4) Note that the transformer needs a secure earth, or the high voltages will damage it. Make sure it's tightened down to the base of the boiler.
You can then switch on, and all should be well. You may get a slight oily smell for a short time, as the unburnt oil around the base of the ignition area will vaporise and result in a temporary smoky yellow flame.
After a few minutes, and around two or three runs, all should be well.

5) If whilst running, the flame is mostly yellow, there isn't enough air mixing, so carefully rotate the air intake vane at the bottom of the motor until the flame is mostly blue with some yellow. Don't adjust until it is all blue, or it will run too hot.

I seem to remember my parents had one of those boilers in Malvern about 1975.

It certainly seems to be something ignition condition related.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back