Old 'KMF' on EICR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Supply KMF.jpg

How would you rate this for the supply of a 1-bedroom flat.

Cooking and heating is gas, just a 9.5kW shower, and the normal white goods in the kitchen.

But there are three flats all with the same 'KMF' setup at the mains.
It's a 60A BS-88 feeding the 17-metres of 16mm t&e riser.

Supply is 'buried in fabric of the building' with no RCD protection.

Don't know what the switch is rated at, nothing on it, or for that matter what the reference number would be.

Definitely non-compliant, but how would you code it on an EICR?

Attachments

• 20210305_153946.jpg
    20210305_153946.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What is a KMF
Part number for a very old MEM switchfuse which was commonly used for supplies where the consumer unit was distant from the meter.
Modern equivalent:
DB701-228x228_0.jpg

How would you rate this for the supply of a 1-bedroom flat.
C2 - basic insulation outside an enclosure
C3 - no RCD for cables concealed in walls

Sponsored Links
Part number for a very old MEM switchfuse which was commonly used for supplies where the consumer unit was distant from the meter. Modern equivalent: ,image.
Whilst that is true, it seems that (just like "Hoover", "Biro", "Henley Block" etc.) "KMF" has come to be used as a fairly generic term for any switch-fuse of the type you illustrate. I have several like that in my installation (none of which are MEM), and all have part numbers which include "KMF".

Kind Regards, John

Whilst that is true, it seems that (just like "Hoover", "Biro", "Henley Block" etc.) "KMF" has come to be used as a fairly generic term for any switch-fuse of the type you illustrate. I have several like that in my installation (none of which are MEM), and all have part numbers which include "KMF".

Kind Regards, John
I take it its "K Main Fuse", but whats the K stand for, first time i have ever heard of it, does not look big enough to have a fuse in, was it rewirable

I take it its "K Main Fuse", but whats the K stand for, first time i have ever heard of it, does not look big enough to have a fuse in, was it rewirable
Dunno - does the "K" perhaps stand for some German word (which seem to commonly start with that letter)?

As you say, the OP's one looks too small to contain a cartridge fuse. The modern ones I have (like the one flameport illustrated) take standard ('cutout') HRC cartridge fuses.

Kind Regards, John

... does not look big enough to have a fuse in, was it rewirable

No, the switch and the fuse (in this case) are two separate entities, unlike the MEM example that flameport posted.

Hence the inverted comers around 'KMF'. Perhaps the inverted comers should have been around 'KMF setup' :unsure:

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back