Old metal ceiling light with earth, but going nowhere

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Took this old metal ceiling light off while decorating, but noticed that while there is an earth wire terminated to the rose section of the lamp, it wasn't actually connected to anything. The plastic terminal block in the ceiling does have an earth wire in it, but it wasn't connected to the light. It's probably been like this for about 30 years before we moved in, and no issue, but I would rather put it right before refitting. I know that some modern, metal lights are double insulated and don't need an earth, but as this has an earth I presume that its designed to be earthed?

Although the connection on the rose is very small I could probably fit a wire into it and bridge to the earth on the plastic terminal block, if this is the right thing to do?

1675713851128.png

1675713942841.png

Sponsored Links
Thanks both.

I know its probably obvious I should add an earth, but thought it worth checking in case there was some strange reason that it was supposed to be like this.

Anyway, earth wire added now and I also double checked to make sure that the earth wire on the plastic junction box is actually connected to earth too.

Sponsored Links
Anyway, earth wire added now and I also double checked to make sure that the earth wire on the plastic junction box is actually connected to earth too.
It appears that the green/yellow Earth wire from the metal socket/lamp holder is soldered to an "earthing washer" - such as https://www.flexicon.uk.com/product/earthing-washers-2/ - at the metal rose, as it should be.

How did you connect this soldered connection to the "Earth" at the terminal block?
You would have needed a soldered connection to an additional Earth wire to do so.

Hi FrodoOne,
It wasn't a soldered connection, it was a terminal with a screw so I added a short piece of wire to bridge to the plastic terminal block.

The connector is very small which probably makes it hard to see the screw in the photo, and its the fact that it didn't look big enough to get another screw that made me wonder how it was designed to connect to the house earth.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back