Old style spur socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of these outlets by windows in the kitchen and bathroom. One is currently attached to a working extractor fan in the bathroom so I assume the one pictured did the same in the kitchen (wires are still live).
My question is...can you buy blanking plates this size and also working outlets (the one in the bathroom is yellowing and all other outlets have been updated.
I can't find any these size as I am unsure what I am searching for.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20220904_160812.jpg
    20220904_160812.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
they were originally intended as clock connectors but I see the point of using them us fan connectors as you have described. cant remember the dimensions so can you measure it. if it is 86x86 then a standard blanking plate or new accesory outlet will fit

I have a couple of these outlets by windows in the kitchen and bathroom. One is currently attached to a working extractor fan in the bathroom so I assume the one pictured did the same in the kitchen (wires are still live).
They are what were known as 'clock connectors', which were used for clocks and various other small loads. They are still available.
My question is...can you buy blanking plates this size and also working outlets (the one in the bathroom is yellowing and all other outlets have been updated.
I rather doubt it, but others may know different. Finding a way of dealing safely with the ends of the cable (if you leave them live) would probably be the greatest problem but, if you could achieve that, you could probably find a way of covering the area' with a standard blanking plate. Alternatively, you could fit a shallow surface box with a blank plate in place of that accessory, providing space for terminating the ends opf the cable within it.

The best option would be to find and disconnect the other end of the cable, after which you could just 'plaster in' what was left on the wall.

Kind Regards, John

As John said the best way would be to either sink a back box and fit a standard accessory or make dead and cover completely. I would be tempted to do the former and have a socket in case i wanted one of those electric bug zapper things in front of the window!

Sponsored Links
As John said the best way would be to either sink a back box and fit a standard accessory or make dead and cover completely. I would be tempted to do the former and have a socket in case i wanted one of those electric bug zapper things in front of the window!
Thanks
I can't locate the other of end of the wire so will have a think about the easiest alternatives. Appreciated

Thanks ... I can't locate the other of end of the wire so will have a think about the easiest alternatives. Appreciated
Fair enough.

If your assumption is right that the one in the kitchen once powered a fan, is there not a switch somewhere that once controlled the fan? ... or is it perhaps only 'live' when the kitchen lights are on?

Kind Regards, John

Given some of the people around, if you did that maybe you should use a 2A or 5A socket - since it could well be on a lighting circuit and we could hear concerns about someone plugging a vacuum cleaner into it :)

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough.

If your assumption is right that the one in the kitchen once powered a fan, is there not a switch somewhere that once controlled the fan? ..
back in the day (as they say) there was a curious thing where an extractor fan actually was installed through the window glass. Your connection unit may have been used for such a thingy.

back in the day (as they say) there was a curious thing where an extractor fan actually was installed through the window glass.
Indeed - and I had one, back in the 70s. The glass suppliers did a good line in cutting the holes for them back then!

Kind Regards, John

They were designed for very low currents, so likely it was connected to the lighting circuit of the room it is in.

Indeed - and I had one, back in the 70s. The glass suppliers did a good line in cutting the holes for them back then!

Kind Regards, John
Easy for single glazed windows. Later, you could order double glazed panes with a fan hole.
Double glazing saw the end of them.
Not so. You can still get them.

There’s no logic though. Double glazing to save heat loss through the window. Then install a fan to extract all your heat.

Am I missing something?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back