Old under cabinet lights to LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have some old under cabinet lights in my kitchen that I want to replace with LEDs as they are forever blowing, and I'll probably want full length lighting.

However most LEDs I see available are plug in or USB - I'm looking at something like this:

Attached is a picture of the current connection - would any LED option use this connection, or will I have to change it whatever I install? If so, if anyone has any advice on how best to wire in something like the above to what is already there, I'd be keen to know - beyond having wired in some light fittings, I'm basically ignorant whenever it comes to electrics!

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• IMG_6738.jpeg
    IMG_6738.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
that just looks like a connection junction box and most likely they use 240V - cannot be 100%
screwfix do a lot of underlight LED - i have used a few in the past and some daisy chain

not a recommendation , as i have not used these specifically- and they do come in various sizes lengths

this is possibly what you have 20A Junction box

Sponsored Links
I had same problem, so I fitted a socket where it would not normally be seen 1680006308365.png under the cupboard, and used a plug in smart lighting strip. It means I have colour changing and all the other silly bits which come with smart lights, and since the socket is placed where not easy seen, unlikely anyone will try and use it for other things.
1680007153018.png
However some one may at some point, so the socket needs an earth, in theory since 1966 all fixed lights need an earth taking to them, but it seems many don't read the rules, so be it counter lights or down lights, often an earth is not taken to the light.

This 1680007270365.png is the light I used from Lidi, which to be frank is far too bright, at 22 watt, however since smart I can reduce the output, so it works well. But the main consideration was how to turn on and off, as often one starts something without putting lights on, and then with hands covered in flour you want to turn them on. So being able to say hey google turn on counter lights seems good to me.

Inside the cupboards I have some simple lamps, £2 each, which I want to fit, but not sure yet if we want to replace the kitchen cupboards, so hanging fire. The question is however if fitting a socket for counter lights, do you also fit lights in cupboards at same time?

Personally I see no point, as wife never puts the stuff in the cupboards, it's left on counter, so no need for lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back