Olive oil again

Bod he managed to get the watch in ;)
I didn’t notice.

IMG_0997.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I find rapeseed (labelled as vegetable) oil tastes/feels greasy, olive oil doesn't.

We only go through about a bottle a month, so we'll put up with the silly prices for now.

I know nothing about watches, but something I've occasionally wondered is, going back a few/many decades, did it used to be the case that expensive watches cost a lot because they were functionally superior e.g. did they keep better time? Or has it always been about the design/male jewellery/investment side of things?

Mrs lost was going to buy some Anchor butter thinking the cost wasn't too bad but then saw the weight had been reduced from 250gms to 200gms.

For years, the USP for Anchor, was that it came from New Zealand. Many will remember "Only Anchor cows eat grass all year round". But for more than a decade now, it's been made in the UK, from British milk. It's still the number two best seller, however, and is made by the people who make Lurpak. They must know their onions.

I know nothing about watches, but something I've occasionally wondered is, going back a few/many decades, did it used to be the case that expensive watches cost a lot because they were functionally superior e.g. did they keep better time? Or has it always been about the design/male jewellery/investment side of things?
Manly it’s due to the work involved in them. A £5 quartz watch will generally keep better time than a £10k mechanical one. A COSC certified watch should keep between -4 and +6 seconds a day. My Seamaster loses about 5 seconds a day, my COSC Speedmaster is within +-2 seconds per day. My G-Shock quartz work watch is spot on and that cost a 25th of the price of the Speedmaster.

We just use Sainsbury’s own vegetable oil which is 100% rapeseed oil. It’s not cold pressed though - Is there much of a difference? Taste?
Yes. We get Aldi's cold-pressed rapeseed oil as treat now and again and it tastes better and the colour is amazing!

We just use Sainsbury’s own vegetable oil which is 100% rapeseed oil. It’s not cold pressed though - Is there much of a difference? Taste?
Cold pressed rapeseed comes from the first gentle pressing which does not produce heat. (thus 'cold' pressed) The vast majority of oils - rapeseed, olive, more or less anything - are second or even third pressings. The pressure is considerably more and that produces heat in the pressing which changes the nature of the oil. In the US they get even more out of the stuff by doing further pressings under extreme pressure and heat which makes the oil basically horrible. They usually call that Canola oil.

It's worth spending some time reading about oils. Certain oils can become very unhealthy if overheated during cooking - I mean carsinogenic unhealthy. Well, any oil can really but some can be safely heated to higher temps than others, rapeseed being one of the highest. Rapeseed is probably the safest of all oils. I've read some people saying you shouldn't cook with olive oil because of this but it's a bit of nonsense really, you just have to be careful not to overheat it. I definitely wouldn't cook with any cheap oil.

Extra virgin olive oil is ok for salads, although I'm not personally keen on the taste. Cold pressed rapeseed is less fatty and tastes a lot lighter and cleaner, especially compared to ordinary olive oils.

Sponsored Links
Back