On-line fraud

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Feeling bit annoyed.
Checked bank-statement last night and payments have been made to well-known on-line retailer, in seven transactions, which the account has no connection with although I do have account with this retailer with a diffferent bank.

Have explained to bank, and cancelled cards. I just cannot think how these frauds work, bearing in mind they need to know the 3-digit 'security no.' from card when you set-up the account.

Seems someone had all the card information, but I dont know how. Anyone know what the chances of getting my money back are please?

Any other advice on this sort of matter would be welcome, thank you.

Sponsored Links
It may help if you were able to communicate with the company. In case a mistake was made. You must be able to get an explanation from them for accessing your account.

Then if you are still confused, not satisfied or appeased send the information to the Fraud Department of your Bank.

I have found that how companies are able to access accounts is very often covered in some small print somewhere in terms and conditions.
The ability to do this is very often stacked against the account holder.

I am chasing up a similar case at the moment. Going to the Citizen Advice proved to be useless.

We do need somebody or office to go to, to sort this kind of problem out.

This kind of case is prevalent and a word to your MP, Watch Dog, Trading Standards etc., would help in time.

My partner's card was used in Dominos Pizza some 100 miles away on the same day she used the card in ASDA so it was blatently obvious that someone had cloned her card, she must have been video'd putting in here 4 digit pin the previous weeks

Anyhoo Satander formerly known as Alliance & Liester simply credited her back with the funds which was £26, not sure if the same would have happened if the amount was higher than £50 or £100 and am not even sure if the bank retrieved this £26 back from Dominos Pizza

My first call would be to the bank and see if they can help, then to the company, good luck

How much funds have gone from your account?

I can never understand why the 3 digit number is printed on the back of the card. It is only supposed to be used for a 'Card Not Present' transaction either by internet or phone, so it should be communicated to the card holder by post like a PIN number.
It is all too easy for the CNP 3 digit number to be copied when using the card in a restaurant or in some shops where the card is 'out of sight' for a few moments, thus enabling the fraudster to use it for online transactions.

dave

Sponsored Links
Have to admit card monitoring is good SOMETIMES
Went on hols to Lake District and spent quite a bit, card was stopped. A little embrassing but a cheque and card sorted that out ( No more guarantee cards now defunct !!!!).
A phone call got the card reinstated.

Yet in Florida, no such service, allowed to spend like water! Must have been the higher charges incured ehh!

Thank you for replies.

wreckedit, Trading Standards did'nt want to know.

EFCLee1, bank said I should contact the retailer, then they say I should speak to bank! Think this may take some time.

dave.m, after finishing tedious call to bank half-hour ago, I thought this as well about the 3-digit no.. I was considering removing the so-called 'security no', write it down somewhere safe first, since as I understand it's not needed for card transactions in real shops, only over 'phone and for setting-up on-line accoounts. Why havn't the Banks thought this through?!

Will post progress here.

We had our card skimmed at an Indian restaurant in Holcombe Brook, Bury, after we stupidly allowed it out of our sight for a few minutes. Within a few days a new card had been made in the name of Mrs Baig who went on the rampage with it, spending £1700 on saris, food, ASDA cashback, hotel bills, restaurant meals, Indian sweets, petrol and so on. We gave the Police the bank statement, which was an accurate record of where she had been and at what times. They could have gone to a couple of the places and viewed the CCTV footage and they would soon have had a picture. Could they be bothered? Could they Hell.

Back