1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

one coat exterior gloss

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by onion_soup, 30 Jun 2006.

1. Third_Eye

Third_Eye

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think it was me mentioning about the skirtings yellowing. Though, i was mentioning that ordinary und/gloss was used on doors & facings but non-drip gloss was used on skirtings only (due to client request). This caused the skirtings to yellow. However, went back to redo skirtings with same as doors & facings of which they never yellowed as did non-drip.

2. confidentincompetent

confidentincompetent

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

3. Growler

Growler

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    >How do you know it was ordinary gloss on gloss Sure it wasn't solo <

Too thin...asked the customer...they said a "tradesman" had put it on and he assured them that it was best to stick a load of turps in ordinary gloss as it was rather difficult to apply otherwise. :cry:

Out of hundreds or repeat jobs ....over 15/16 years of using Crown Solo Glosss , we've never had any flake off.

Did a staircase the other week: I had previously done the doors with Solo about 5/6 years ago, don't know what you call them (grainy white panel - all one piece) she said that they didn't need doing again this time and everybody asks her what i'd used on them because they've never seen anything look so good . No chipping / stringing or flaking off.

Just try it on one of those kind of doors when you get the chance.....You're in for a :eek:

4. Third_Eye

Third_Eye

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When One Coat Gloss is used on a bannister & applied to the handrail of that bannister, then i have lost count how many times at has chipped, lost adhesion & blistered due to being in a high traffic area. Therefore since those expereinces i have stopped using it in high traffic situations. The thing about One Coat Gloss is to save time & money, but if i recomend it over the und/glss system then i put myself in a tricky position, as if anything goes wrong then i am held responsible. Therefore, me having to fix free of charge. In other words i explain to clients that One Coat will be cheaper but advize its limitations. As i am repeating myself again but it tends to yellow quicker, adhesion is not great as und/glss system, it chips easier, it has a higher build resulting in ruining groved painted wood etc but it does have its good points & that is where client wants to save money & all wood is previously painted but all flat surfaces & same colour used.

5. Growler

Growler

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You must use it a lot if you've lost count :LOL:

I can count how many times it has chipped, lost adhesion & blistered ....
    None

>tends to yellow quicker, adhesion is not great as und/glss system, it chips easier, it has a higher build resulting in ruining groved painted wood etc <
    That's bad advice that you're dishing out....just because you keep repeating it..it doesn't make it true. Remember
    "weapons of mass destruction" - the only thing we found was some white powder.....turned out to be :LOL: talc. :LOL:

6. Third_Eye

Third_Eye

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    WMD ! ! ! Please keep the debate to One Coat Gloss & keep it in that arena. In other words please stop reffering to external Topic's being WMD, Quick Drying Woodstain & bringing them in to the One Coat arena. Just so that you can "sex up" your argument for or against the One Coat issue or non-issue for that matter :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

7. Growler

Growler

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Wasn't aware that you're a moderator here.

T/e July 2 9.59pm i have had so many people (not painters i.e. general public) tell me that they used a One Coat Exterior Gloss on there house for alot of it to be flaking, cracking & easilly chipped within 1 year of painting.

T/e July8 11.05am However, where i find a problem with One Coat is when used on completly flat doors that are prone to high traffic. The problem is only apparant after about 5 years as it starts to flake at high traffic areas.

Just shown that to my pal...He nearly dropped his tin of "Solo" laughing at that. (just keeping on topic there)

8. Third_Eye

Third_Eye

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Me, a Moderator ! who told you this ! Also, your Pal's reaction has no effect on my stance with One Coat Gloss. But keep 'yes men' around your enviroment if so desire, as your explanation of there behaviour does not manipulate me the slightest :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

9. Growler

Growler

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Painted this over 6 years ago now. The door was previously black, it's had 2 coats.

No flaking, (sun on it all morning) ,
    no chipping,
    no scratches,
    no adhesion problems,
    no stringy problems,
    not coming off in sheets,like cling film (Jul 04 9.53pm),
    no yellowing,
    no gobby brushmarks,
    no apparent problems after 5 years (Jul 08 11.05am).

So ...Zampa / Third_Eye / Confidentincompetent. Would you care to have a guess at what it was painted with over 6 years ago

[​IMG]

10. Third_Eye

Third_Eye

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi growler, howz things ? Anyway, i see your example of the garage door and it looks great. But i have i also used one coat in many places to and they still look great but in other area's it turns out to be a disaster. The thing is "if" say for example that garage door gets chipped by whatever, then this leaves an edge on the one coat and when air gets behind the one coat then BANG it stars to lift the one coat gloss. However, this does not happen with und/gloss system. Also, the thing is i have painted many things with one coat outdoors and where the sun does not hit say windows then those windows are still perfect 10 years on but where the sun hits the one coat windows then they have blistered in 6 months. Anyway keep up the debate cos i am loving it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

11. confidentincompetent

confidentincompetent

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

12. Growler

Growler

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Whoops!
    Nearly forgot to tell you what it's painted with.

One half is Crown Solo Brilliant White Gloss and the other half is Permoglaze "Professional" Brilliant White gloss.

Now with all the problems that have been spread about One Coat Gloss, I've no doubt you'll be able to tell me which half is which.

Especially with the yellowing, that's a giveaway, oh.....and the sheeting off.

13. gcol

gcol

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    From someone that isn't interested in this debate, the left side looks like it's not as bright as the right side. But that could just be in the photo.

14. Third_Eye

Third_Eye

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi "gcol", where you been ? or have i missed your posts. Anyway back to the One Coat debate. "Growler" have i missed something but Gloss that is white does not yellow outdoors, as this only happens indoors ! Therefore why bring up yellowing in relation garage door !

15. Growler

Growler

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Which half is which :?:

Go on...have a guess.......You might just get lucky