one drill bit drills all

I two fell for this trick as i quite often attend the good food show at the nec, and have seen them at Chelsea and other flower shows. I thought they seem pretty reputable but found that they were fine on woods and plate steel(not the fastest bits though) but as soon as i needed to drill out something i bit harder like some split pins that you can get the ends just crumbled away straight from the set off so i used another and same thing and so on and so on.

Sponsored Links
Look at Google Street View, I don't believe there are 104 units at 91 Mayflower Street in Plymouth, it's a bit small!! Previously registered as being at Lynwood House in Harrow...why would a company move all the way down from Harrow to Plymouth!? I wouldn't buy from them, looks very dodgy to me

I too fell for these so-called 'wonder' drill bits at Northern Home Show earlier this year. The drill bits that drill anything and everything with ease and safety and whilst they may not be indestructible, if they do break, they'll be replaced for free (+ £4.95 P+P). So when I came to use them, I didn't even have a correct set - no 6mm, no 8mm (the 2 most common used sizes) but I had an extra 3mm and extra 12mm! Short sharp emails told me to send back the extra bits and replacement 6&8mm bits would be sent out. Replacements finally arrived, and the 6mm bit was rusty having clearly been used. Does this take the p**s or what? Emailed the rude Director again telling him I intended to send the whole set back and wanted a refund as his customer service is non-existent, his products do not live up to expectations and for me to have to go to all the effort to put right a cock-up made in his packaging department, and then be sent used bits, is downright unacceptable. His curt response said if I was unhappy (understatement) I could return them and he would refund me but not a penny more than I paid. So I've spent the best part of £10 altogether in postage sending him stuff back, and been treated like s**t for which I will not be recompensed. The guy is clearly an a*hole. Drill all drill bits - b****cks - a good quality bit specific for the job (wood, masonry, etc) with an appropriate drill is the best way of getting the job done. I won't be falling for these gimmicks again.

Sponsored Links
I too have had to pay (dealing with trading standards now) to get only my original purchase price from this rude con artist (I am trying to get to the sandown model show to see him in person on the 27th) and have googled this site after recieving this e-mail, guess it may be for you?
"Hello Gary

I have seen your comments and the names you have called me on the DIY website which are totally un called for,I'm not to impressed about you putting my details all over the Internet and am disgusted at the language you have used....I'm a human being

We get very few complaints and most people we bump into at the shows and exhibitions compliment the drill bits anybody who isn't happy gets a refund

Regards Terry

Terry Hilder
Director/Accounts Manager
Triple X Trading Ltd

Unit 104
91 Mayflower Street
Plymouth
Devon
PL1 1SB

[email protected]
www.triplextrading.co.uk
"

In the days when I used to go to the trade shows these guy's were always there drilling through files and the like but I always felt there was a bit of smoke and mirrors type of thong going on.but could never work it out

Hi guys,

I just wanted to say, I found this topic after Googling "drill anything bits" because I have a set which were a gift from a friend a couple of years back and another friend wanted to know where I got them and I can't remember - they're in a small flight case with no logo or anything so I was Googling to find the company.

I'm not a tradesman, but a pretty serious DIYer and I love these bits. I've used them on brick, block, wood, the hardened steel brackets on my bed frame and even paving slabs (don't ask!) - I've got to say they're brilliant. I even have a little widget in the pack which bites into rounded screw heads which works every time. Sounds like I work for the company, but I promise you I don't. I'd recommend them to anyone (and do, in fact).

There - my tuppence' worth!

Pat

Assuming we're talking about the same bits, of course?

As a tradesman I'd have to say that there's no such thing as a "drill anything bit". If there were tool makers would never have invented all the different bits we have today. It's a bit like saying that there is a saw blade which will cut everything - there are saws like that, it's just that like compromises they aren't much good in a lot of situations.

And yes, it does sound like you work for the company

Yeah, fair comment. Although, if they were to make a drill bit out of diamond it would most likely drill anything without losing its edge. At some point, they'll discover an alloy or compound which will do it. Maybe they already can, but the cost is prohibitive.

I can honestly say though, that these "anything" bits drill through masonry far more easily than my old "masonry" bits did. But having said that, I did get a new drill with the bits so maybe that's part of the reason!

Just wanted to say that my experience with them is good, that's all.

And I don't work for the company! :)

Yeah, fair comment. Although, if they were to make a drill bit out of diamond it would most likely drill anything without losing its edge.
Yes, but it wouldn't do it very well (in some materials the hole would be a complete mess). Harder doesn't always mean better; wood drills are made from carbon steel and sometimes from M2 high speed steel (that's the low grade stuff). Carbon steel can lose it's temper ("blue") easily, whereas M2 doesn't - however, carbon steel, properly tempered will hold a much sharper edge than M2 ever could because the mollecular structure is much finer. M42 (or cobalt HSS) is even harder than M2, but worthless for woodworking because it can't be sharpened to the required cutting angles without the edge breaking up (again because of the larger mollecule size). Tungsten carbide is even harder than HSS, but for CNC machining aluminium, aluminium composites and many grades of industrial plastic (e.g. HDPE, engineering nylons, etc) HSS is preferred because it is far sharper and gives a much cleaner cut that the relatively blunt carbid tools, despite not lasting as long (but then HSS spirals are super cheap, too)

There are many other examples of this in industry and trade.

As to your new bits drilling better, how old and used were the old ones? Masonry bits take a fair bit of stick and go blunt quite quickly in some materials, especially in an SDS. I've done jobs where 7mm bits last only a day or so because the concrete of brick are so hard/abrasive whilst on other jobs I'll get weeks out of a single drill bit in soft blockwork

Lots of information there jobandknock , you sound like a real boring expert :LOL: (sorry but I just couldn't help that 1000 year old joke :oops: )

Lots of information there jobandknock , you sound like a real boring expert :LOL: (sorry but I just couldn't help that 1000 year old joke :oops: )
:rolleyes: :evil: :LOL: You obviously didn't do metalwork at school.......

There's an irony about you last post j&k . I indeed gave up metalwork at school along with woodwork and history but a couple of decades later I find myself demonstrating medieavel woodworking techniques and constructing reproduction furnature and have spent most of my life in restoration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back