One for the HV guys / westie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On holiday up near blackpool at the moment, and drove past this:

0B2C9E5A-8223-477E-AC21-E90F0CFD6EEB-194-0000000F9B7D25E7_zps39c8c25c.jpg

Those power lines look only to be about 12m ish from the ground, how can that be safe!? What are the regulations for HV power lines like that?

Sponsored Links
A tractor and loader would easily hit 7.3m, are there restrictions about traffic underneath the lines then? Seems very low to me!

It's only an impression, but I feel the aesthetics of today's MV line installations are generally quite scrappy in comparison to what they were 30 or 40 years ago.

These days one can see really ugly/untidy fuses/switchgear/remote controls stuck up poles standing at all sorts of angles whereas at one time poles would be absolutely vertical, and pole-top gear would be really neat and tidy.

In fact I would say a lot of today's installations looks rather like what one used to see in the American films. We haven't quite got to the rat nests of 3rd world installations, but we're not far away.

Has Brit pride and workmanship gone out the window to the demands of profit motivated bean counters.

Sponsored Links
A tractor and loader would easily hit 7.3m, are there restrictions about traffic underneath the lines then?

Lots of documentation and advice about it! Ours are at 6m and very rarely get hit by farm machinery.
Is it safe? That's something for the likes of the HSE, who no doubt feel it is.

These days one can see really ugly/untidy fuses/switchgear/remote controls stuck up poles standing at all sorts of angles whereas at one time poles would be absolutely vertical, and pole-top gear would be really neat and tidy.

Yep there are lots of "christmas trees" around! We try to keep ours tidy in this patch where our own staff have worked on them

Ours are at 6m and very rarely get hit by farm machinery.
Railway road level crossings are at 5.6m at 25kV AC, or 5.5m at 1500V DC. 5.2m at any voltage for foot/bridleway crossings. There would be severe issues I imagine if this was a problem.

There is only so far you can go in protecting idiots from their own stupidity. I would hope that when the pylons were constructed that all legitimate users of the land were warned about them.

As for railway level crossings iirc they have mechanisms in place to warn over-height vehicles.

You could take your mrs to the visitor centre at Heysham Power Station, she'll love it :LOL:
I take it the OP pic is some sort of HV T junction?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back