Extend sockets or use extension cables in loft?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so I now have a double socket in my loft - this is on it's own circuit / point on the consumer unit. At the moment it is just powering a small camera via a USB cable. I plan to power another 2 cameras in the same way, one is probably about 5m from socket, and the other about 12m.

I know it would probably be best to spur off another socket for the 12m camera, but would it be OK to have an extension lead, it's only be a 1 gang one, like this one probably. I'd need to remove the plug to put through a 9 inch wall that separates the two parts of the loft. In terms of costs, it looks about the same to get cable and socket or an extension lead.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but -

Why not have a proper socket, screwed to the wall, on the end of the extension lead?
Then when you are plugging it in to the present socket, you might think you may as well connect the lead to the socket terminals.

yeah, probably not much more work. I only put the socket in on Saturday. It's just annoying to think I need to remove it again! Will probably do it properly though ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back