One for those in the medical profession...Julie?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have mentioned in the past here that I have recently suffered double vision.

As part of my treatment, I have today had a CT scan to try and diagnose the cause.

At 10.20, the radiographer came to talk to me. She looked very grave.

She told me there was "something wrong with your scan."

When I asked her what it was, she said that she couldn't tell me, but she held my hand and was dreadfully sympathetic, and offered to take me to the eye department and sit with me while I waited.

I declined her help, and went to see my consultant, but that was not before 2.30.

During this time, as you can imagine, all sorts went through my head. Was I going to go blind? Had I got a tumour? Was I going to die? How would my wife and three kids cope?

It was dreadful, really bad.

As it turned out, things were not quite as bad as I first thought.

I have hydrocephalus, and the fluid is pressing on the nerve controlling the superior oblique in the left eye, causing my diplopia. The consultant reckons I have had this problem since birth, but a recent increase in fluid has caused (extra) pressure on the nerve, resulting in the double vision.

It looks like I will need a shunt fitting.

Can anybody fill me in, so to speak, or point me to some accurate and informative websites?

Sponsored Links
HIya Securespark.

Sorry to hear about your probs. Have a look here http://www.asbah.org/ This is the website for the Hydrocephalus society and they are very helpful.

A pharmacist I used to work with has a daughter who has HC. They were told that Katey would never walk and probably never talk. She had her first shunt fitted at a very young age and is now a Genetic Scientist doing her PhD!

The website has got all sorts of info on shunts and other treatment. Good luck and try not to worry :D

Sponsored Links
Hi Simon - shunts are no problem. Once you've had it fitted your vision will return to normal. :)

PS Settling into house well

Why didn't the hospital tell you all about it? What on earth do we pay them for?

joe

Look on the bright side....if it had been really bad when you were born ..you`d have had a head like a football .and died.and maybe pickled and forgotten in some lab...remember the forgotten fetus` scandal :evil:

securespark

Im glad things ok :)

I had similar the other week at my diabetic eye screening clinic , had photos took , he mention some disorder about the viens bursting an when I saw the red eyeball pics on his PC ,but left me sweating for 20mins after he went for a second opinion, I was very worried til he came back an said it was ok ......just tired eyes ..lol :) :)

Thanks, Julie. Have been told eyesight will be OK as long as the pressure has not damaged the nerve.

Moz

Sorry to hear of your fright - my bro-i-l, who is an optometrist, photographed my eyes, told me to reduce my blood pressure and take 1g of cod liver oil every day to help eyes. Apparently, the veins in my eyes are much dilated, and my arteries convoluted....

Nige- it was really bad when I was born... I was 3m prem, and that is why I have this fluid on the brain, the consultant reckons.

At birth, I was not expected to live, I had all the breathing complications known to man, was in an oxygen tent, and was given the last rites. The only thing that saved me was my birth weight - 4lbs. So I was a Bat Fastard from when I was born! Not many can say that!

Julie - If I remember my human biology correctly there are basically 2 ops for hydracephalus, fitting a shunt, and 3rd Ventriculostomy. I understand shunts, but when would you use a 3V??

securespark said:
Thanks, Julie. Have been told eyesight will be OK as long as the pressure has not damaged the nerve.

Nige- it was really bad when I was born... I was 3m prem, and that is why I have this fluid on the brain, the consultant reckons.

At birth, I was not expected to live, I had all the breathing complications known to man, was in an oxygen tent, and was given the last rites. The only thing that saved me was my birth weight - 4lbs. So I was a Bat Fastard from when I was born! Not many can say that!
:eek: 3 Months .-that`s early.Our first son was nearly a gonner@ birth :cry: and that was 1980`s..........thank goodness for modern medicine, eh.?keeps me mobile it does ;)

No.........almost full term but emergency Ceaser and Mrs. was in hospital with toximea? for 2 months previous to birth.......small too

Sponsored Links
Back