One third of Britons admit being racially prejudiced

When I went down to the American Embassy in London to gain a work permit, as I sat there waiting my turn to be called up to ‘prove my worth’ I could hear raised voices from my chair as one after another were refused. It was like waiting to be executed.
smilie_aengstl1.gif
When it was my turn, after introducing myself, I started first saying in a defensive way “I’m sorry, I know I don’t hold a degree or....”

She interrupted me and it was so different to what I’d been hearing for the past half hour from the methane-smelling chair I'd left behind. “Oh of course you got a degree sir! With your qualifications and experience you’re what America needs”. After a few more forms read and questions - ACCEPTED!
Eek.gif

I almost had tears in my eyes, I was so proud at that moment of my achievements and America’s acceptance of a pleb like me. I have found you can go a long way in life if you are bald-headed, wear glasses and speak the Queen's English. (And just a little knowledge under ones belt
costumed-smiley-089.gif
).

action-smiley-010.gif
I notice in your little story that you had no idea why the applications before you failed, how long ago this was, and you make no mention of the type of work that previous applicants were looking for, or the kind of work that you were 'qualified' in.
Then you explain how the rules were twisted in your favour, yet give us no idea why this happened, preferring to suggest it was due to your baldness, glasses, and ability to speak english.

How were the previous applicants able to argue their case if they couldn't speak english? Or are you suggesting that they were shouting in a foreign language?

What is the point of the story? To illustrate how Americans are prejudiced towards english speaking bald people who wear glasses? Why?

It has no relevance to the topic.

Sponsored Links
When I went down to the American Embassy in London to gain a work permit, as I sat there waiting my turn to be called up to ‘prove my worth’ I could hear raised voices from my chair as one after another were refused. It was like waiting to be executed.
smilie_aengstl1.gif
When it was my turn, after introducing myself, I started first saying in a defensive way “I’m sorry, I know I don’t hold a degree or....”

She interrupted me and it was so different to what I’d been hearing for the past half hour from the methane-smelling chair I'd left behind. “Oh of course you got a degree sir! With your qualifications and experience you’re what America needs”. After a few more forms read and questions - ACCEPTED!
Eek.gif

I almost had tears in my eyes, I was so proud at that moment of my achievements and America’s acceptance of a pleb like me. I have found you can go a long way in life if you are bald-headed, wear glasses and speak the Queen's English. (And just a little knowledge under ones belt
costumed-smiley-089.gif
).

action-smiley-010.gif

Oh, naughty racist Americans! I can imagine the appearance of the ones who were ejected.
BT mads no mention of the appearance of the ones who were not successful, but the story has no relevance to the OP, so why mention it and why assume you know the appearance of those unsuccessful applicants?

They say that where America goes (with regard to sociological matters at least), we follow. Well, I'm looking forward to the day.
You want a black leader of the govenment, who's father was a muslim. Well done!
There's hope for you yet. :LOL: :LOL:

Different here, of course. We even go so far as to accepting (with the support of our supermarkets) an insistence that we eat halal meat.

Nah they're not forcing people to eat it mate, it's just labelled as halal so you know that the animal has endured unnecessary suffering (ie having its throat sliced through and left to bleed to death). Obviously if you disagree with this brutal method (as many people do) then the normal 'bolt through head' meat is still there.

Bigtone
i had much the same feelings when sat in embassy .
They dont take any sh#t and people were coming away from windows in tears just plain holiday makers .
with the pleas of i have booked my flights falling on deaf ears.

When i got to window woman was as nice as pie , everything in order sir dont worry i will validate this for ten years instead of the standard one to save you any future hassle
That's it exactly gas112. Some 30 open booths with pockets of pleas and argument and head - shaking as they walked off in disdain. I don't know if they were holiday makers because I wasn't close enough to hear the details; just raised voices. (Black and white btw, not that I was counting).

Sponsored Links
I think there's a big difference between racism and realising we live on a small island and there's so many social problems already (housing, employment, health, crime etc).
What a good start!

Why do we need so many foreigners who contribute nothing to our society ?
You obviously didn't see the report that concluded that immigration has had a beneficial effect in UK.
Instead you choose to believe something which you've imagined.

I think most would agree certain people help to enrich this country, but these are in the minority.
Quite the reverse, the repot that I referred to above suggested that immigrants contribute more to the UK economy than they cost.

Trouble is the do-gooders would say i'm a racist for having these views. NOA.
Your assumptions indicate that your ideology is based on your imagination, not hard facts.

When I worked abroad especially in arabic countries I did my best to conform to their customs, communicate in their language etc,
When in Rome do as the Romans do.
Excellent sentiments. Sadly most ex-pats don't go beyond the bare minimum. Fortunately, the 'locals' are only too happy to recognise the economic benefits brought by immigrants. The local population in foreign countries even learn english to be more welcoming immigrants.

Why don't 'they' give us the same consideration. This country has gone too far pandering to non english speaking incomers, regardless of skin colour.
I don't consider myself racist, just p****d off.
How many immigrant health workers do you come into contact with? Are you suggesting that they can't speak english? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You probably don't consider yourself racist, but your ideas and comments certainly suggest that you are.

So how many more people, in the survey, don't consider themselves prejudiced. But if their attitudes were examined, it would be reasonable to assume that they were.

I think everyone in the whole world is racist except Rougehangup who is a shining beacon of niceness to all.

You want a black leader of the government, who's father was a muslim. Well done!

Why is that well done? You racist.
Dopey, idiot.
I'm congratulating him becaue he'd be happy to have a non-white leader of the government, who's background is non-chistian, thereby demonstrating his lack of prejudice.

Now if you think that's a racist suggestion, you really don't understand racial abuse.
Which means that you are ignorant as well as an abuser?

I think everyone in the whole world is racist except Rougehangup who is a shining beacon of niceness to all.

I think the abusers have totally lost their grip of reality.

Their credibility lies in tatters. All because they've tried to justify that racial abuse is acceptable. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think froghopper is like the uk government.

Oppress the people with your dictatorship and exterminate anyone that dares question them :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think the abusers have totally lost their grip of reality.

Their credibility lies in tatters. All because they've tried to justify that racial abuse is acceptable. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't think you'd know racial abuse if it bit you on the arse. not that anyone would want too.

You want a black leader of the government, who's father was a muslim. Well done!

Dopey, idiot.
I'm congratulating him becaue he'd be happy to have a non-white leader of the government, who's background is non-chistian, thereby demonstrating his lack of prejudice.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Are we to assume then, that non white , non Christian people don't have prejudices? Bloody hell, you sure your on the same planet as the rest of us????????

Dopey, idiot.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Are we to assume then, that non white , non Christian people don't have prejudices? Bloody hell, you sure your on the same planet as the rest of us????????
That's a wierd assumption to make from my comment.
I certainly gave no indication that that was what I intended.
But you don't rally care about what I really meant, do you? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You put your mistaken assumption in preference to my real intented meaning.

But then I'm quite used to abusers making wierd assumptions.

I think froghopper is like the uk government.

Oppress the people with your dictatorship and exterminate anyone that dares question them :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I think you are just insulting people who disagree with your ideology, that racial abuse is acceptable.

Sponsored Links
Back