Oops oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler was getting a little noisy and smoky, so I took a look.....

It would seem that the fire brick has toppled onto the blast tube, and the blast tube has burnt down, producing piles of soot, but still running. If the last service engineer (before I moved here) had secured the brick with a couple of fresh screws, I don't think any of this would have happened.

Can anyone tell me what the white blocks are made of and whether you can buy a block and cut them yourself?

I've ordered a new blast tube. A lot of money for a little bit of metal. Grump.

Sponsored Links
looks like a boulter camray wall hung outdoor. you may find the 'target brick' is obsolete

It's a Camray 15/19 external wall mounted. It has a Riello 40 G2 burner. I think it was installed in 2002, judging by the date scribbled on the burner label. Had been working fine all winter - just got a bit noisy and smoky in the last few days.

Sponsored Links
I think you will find it is older than 2002!! I'd say 1992 at the latest!! long since obsolete I would ditch it and put in a nice Grant external wall mounted which will save loads of fuel ;)

I,m with boilerman on this one, they were a cracking boiler in there day

But its time to move on, what part of the country are you ?

I'm in Herefordshire. Hopefully all will work ok with the new blast tube, but thanks for your thoughts - i will add new boiler to my list of things i need, but can't afford yet.

I'm in Herefordshire. Hopefully all will work ok with the new blast tube, but thanks for your thoughts - i will add new boiler to my list of things i need, but can't afford yet.

Looks very sooty...will you be testing the combustion after fitting the new blast tube?

It was very sooty, but I'm pretty sure it only built up recently - after the firebrick had fallen against the blast tube.
I'll be changing the nozzle as well at the blast tube, but if the exhaust looks smoky or smells funny I'll get someone to check it.
Thanks.

You could of course effect a repair with fire cement if you're careful and you
can keep these boilers running I've got two customers who won't part with
theirs one is a professor of engineering and the other is his cousin who incidentally made his own flue gas analyser

Thanks for the idea. I think the existing one will hold up although it has some cracks, but I can check it periodically. But I could make a replacement if it's possible to buy a block of the stuff. It's very lightweight and soft. Does anyone know what it is and where I might try to get a bit?

Yes seen the same just worse.

I took one look and told them to stop using it and left it in pieces so they
couldn't keep using it.

I don't think the lady of the house was pleased

I've seen this stuff inside Rayburn cookers and got some from stovesonline a few years ago.....cant find any pictures for you though!
Its very light in weight, maybe 25mm thick....try googling Rayburn slab insulation.
John :)

Thanks John, I think it might be "ceramic fibre insulation board" - got a few names to call and ask about it now. It could do with a new piece on the door too, if I end up having to get some, and have some spare. Hopefully blast tube arrives tomorrow and I can have heating again!

Ok well blast tube arrived and fitted, and boiler is working again.
But I think I might have to call the man in - I can hear the occasional "whumf" while it's firing. It looks like the flue is a bit sooty inside, but I'll have an inside look in the morning.
I've read somewhere that these noises might be excess oil igniting.
There also seems to be quite a lot of condensation inside the fibreglass cover, but this might be normal.
Any thoughts from the experts please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back