Opinions of bootlace crimps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am not a spark but watching a lot of YouTube videos and seeing more and more of these being used can I have your opinions of them ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I like using them when working with fine stranded wire, e.g. on a boat, or on the N wires of RCBOs:

bootlace.JPG

They make a better connection imo, and obviously you can get insulated and uninsulated ones for different applications.

Seam to be all over bloody YouTube at the moment.
I’m not a fan of the double crimp for maintenance reasons

I’m sure they have their place. But no need for you to buy some.

Sponsored Links
Hi I am not a spark but watching a lot of YouTube videos and seeing more and more of these being used can I have your opinions of them ?
Thanks
They are brilliant for their intended purpose, ie flexible multistranded wire.
But do not use them on T&E or any other similar wire, they are of no benefit and create difficulties. I truly see no reason for the increasing fashion statement in CU's on YT.
In fact I wish the plethora of 'Look how good I am's" on YT would stop posting their rubbish.

I think the main benefits of these are : (on flexiable cable of course)

1) if you are going to frequently remove the cable from the terminal and refit it
2) If the cable is so much smaller than the terminal

Thanks everyone looks like I won’t be buying then, saves me money asking on here first

Last edited:
They are also excellent at ensuring no strands of copper are accidentally sticking out and give a more professional look to the job.
Although it does add time on the job fitting them I think this is outweighed by the benefits (as mentioned above) given by them.
I use hundreds (to thousands) a week on multistrand wire within control panels.

If your going to use them then get an automatic crimp and do not use the cheap multi crimps, plyers etc.

Yes, they are excellent.
They are what I am referring to, mine are the same type. (although I have an air crimper I'd rather use but no air supply).

If you use them then strip the wire so that when fitted it goes flush with the end of the crimp and no further, a slight twist after stripping will prevent strands getting caught and sticking out the insulated part.
There is a youtube electrician suggesting making the copper stick out the end of the crimp by a couple of mm but IMO he's talking gabage.

If you get and use any double crimps (which are a must if more than 1 wire enters a terminal then strip the wire even longer and twist both together so they stay together evenly when inserting into the crimp.

If when inserting them into small pcb terminals and you can see the metal part crimp when inserted then cut the end off at the first crimp mark before insertion.

Just never use them on solid core cables.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
What’s the difference with some crimpers having 4 jaws and other 6 jaws ?
Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks @mattylad, really insightful. It was JW’s (flameport) YouTube video that inspired me to get a crimper.

Thanks
My opinion?

Usually a complete waste of time and money and usually only used by pretentious little idiots on You Tube.

They do have their uses, and particularly useful when factory fitted on pre-stripped cables where the copper strands would just get messy.

Have seen badly fitted ones where the wire just pulled out of them.

So another point of failure, you could argue.

In most cases, if a wire is stripped, and possibly the end doubled or tripled or quadded over, there is often no need for these things.

Last edited:
Ferrules and crimper sets can be bought for around £20 on ebay/amazon, well worth the investment for anything from flex in downlighters etc to wiring plugs. Yes the youtubers tend to copy each others videos but it's your choice at the end of the day.

Blup

They are also excellent at ensuring no strands of copper are accidentally sticking out and give a more professional look to the job. ... Although it does add time on the job fitting them I think this is outweighed by the benefits (as mentioned above) given by them.
As many of said, for what it's worth my view is also that there are a few (but not many) situations in which they are useful/valuable, but I certainly would not consider using them routinely 'just because I could'.

I'm a little surprised that no-one seems to have mentioned any 'downside'. In general, we try to avoid 'unnecessary' joints/potential points of failure, but the electrical connection between ferrule/crimp and the conductor is an electrical 'joint' and potential source of 'poor connection'.

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back