Crimping bootlace ferrules for RCBO neutrals

Sponsored Links
The topic title is "Crimping bootlace ferrules for RCBO neutrals" - it's not that which has made the significant difference.

You should note that the diameter of stranded cable can't be used as a reliable indicator of CSA. Round strands cannot be packed together without a gap.
They can't, but if you've only got a limited number of standard sized cables to choose from, you can ID it by measuring the overall diameter of the conductors.

Sponsored Links
So on the subject of ferrules, I've just seen these on fleabay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230973662271

They look rather interesting.

A follow up. I have been looking for a "cheap" ferrule crimp tool for a bit now. Been just giving the ferrules a light squeeze with pliers and then screwing down till now. Decided to give this a go as £14 is cheap for ratchet ferrule crimpers.

Verdict, does take over a week to come but they do the job nicely, though it should be born in mind that they produce a "square" crimped end. For DIY use they appear to be perfectly adequate. The packaging suggests that there is also a hex version from the same manufacturer (it's all in Chinese), and a quick search on eBay shows

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150675703539

which is a bit more expensive. Not sure what the advantage of hex over square crimping is to justify the additional expense though.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
A follow up. I have been looking for a "cheap" ferrule crimp tool for a bit now. ... Verdict, does take over a week to come but they do the job nicely, though it should be born in mind that they produce a "square" crimped end. For DIY use they appear to be perfectly adequate. The packaging suggests that there is also a hex version from the same manufacturer (it's all in Chinese), and a quick search on eBay shows ... which is a bit more expensive. Not sure what the advantage of hex over square crimping is to justify the additional expense though.
I would have thought ... if the terminal has a round hole, then hex probably conformes to the terminal shape better, and two or more hex-ferruled cables would 'fit together' within the round hole better. However, with a square hole, or a 'clamp/saddle/basket/whatever type terminal, a square ferrule would probably be theoretically better.

Kind Regards, John

I would have thought ... if the terminal has a round hole, then hex probably conformes to the terminal shape better, and two or more hex-ferruled cables would 'fit together' within the round hole better. However, with a square hole, or a 'clamp/saddle/basket/whatever type terminal, a square ferrule would probably be theoretically better.

I figured that as well, but surely that applies only till the point you tighten the screw down and the ferrules shape gets distorted anyway.

I figured that as well, but surely that applies only till the point you tighten the screw down and the ferrules shape gets distorted anyway.
Up to a point but, given that one usually can't get too violent with the scews without them shearing off (or otherwise being damaged), I think one is probably more likely to get close to ideal 'distortion' if one starts with a ferrule of optimal shape for the situation involved.

Kind Regards, John

I've noticed that the Bell Transformer is a different make than the Eaton consumer unit......

And the red post warning disapears ,so even more people post unaware :)
Indeed. Although I can see the pros and cons, it may make more sense for the warning to remain there ('for ever') on the basis of the original start date of the thread, even when there have been recent posts.

Kind Regards, John

I believe Memshield 3 are the same as Moeller X pole, just a re-branding exercise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back