opinions on roofing job by qualified roofers please

Sponsored Links
Their felting is messy, and sagging between rafters, it should be pulled taunt.

No double batten at the eaves (1st course into gutter) the eaves slate appears to virtually cover the whole batten, so no idea how they've fixed the first full skate but it's not fixed correctly.

Battens used should be 25x50mm, looks like they've used 38x19mm, check the slate fixings haven't protruded through the underside of the battens into the felt (although I doubt they will have, as the felt is hanging between the rafters!)

Again on the top two courses to the apex, can't see a top batten, looks like the top full skate is resting on the ridge board, if so, where is the cut slate fixed to? Possibly laid loose or masticated to the slate below, with ridges bedded on top.

Probably see more if I wasnt on my smart phone, screen is too small to zoom in on the pics bit I'l be home in an hour sk I'l look more closely then.

Not looking to clever even on this though.

Also, some of the fixings are weak, slates should have been re holed, and can't make out what's going on in that last pic, have a closer look later on.

Did roofers do this or what??

Sponsored Links
Are they an established local firm? Or a bunch of chancers out of the local rag. Are they Brits?

Big thanks to Sas roofer for your thorough comments on what you see in the pics. The last pic is of a broken batten. I guess his foot must have slipped. These things happen though. The house is a semi. The portion of the roof with ridge tiles on is next door. Our property is the portion of roof untiled at the apex. The battens he is using are the same size as the ones he removed and I believe this is so the roof will be the same height as the roof next door. As professionals what course of action should I take with this guy and if he is unreasonable can I use these images to argue he should be taken off the job??

I'm not a qualified roofer, I'm only a DIYer but even I can see that the headlap is barely the width of the batten. If what SAS suggests is correct, that the batten is 38X19, it puts the headlap at about 38mm!

You can also calculate easily that the difference between 50X25 to 38X19 would give only a 6mm difference in height to next doors slates. Hardly noticeable from ground level and easily adjusted at roof top level.

As for advice on your next step, apart from that you were advised on the poor quality of work before, but allowed them to continue.

I would have thought that you should ask them to stop doing it the way they are doing it. Advise them that you intend to seek expert opinion, which you should do. Give them the opportunity to do it properly.
Finally, if you're still not satisfied, or better still if your expert adviser is still not satisfied, throw them off the job. Hire a proper roofer to redo it and seek redress from the original roofer.

I have decided to seek advice from an expert. What qualifications should I look for in a recognised roofing expert?

You need a written report from a recognised expert which you should expect to pay for, not some advice from a DIY forum, however well qualified or well intentioned the advice is. On a forum such as this it's anonymous.

Thanks Alistair for the link but I'm in Macclesfield, Cheshire. I should have mentioned this earlier. Searching on google now for a local company that can inspect the roof.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Greg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back