opinions on roofing job by qualified roofers please

Alistair - you are an absolute legend! Thanks for that link.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying you employed a foreign chancer then? Or a bunch of Pykies? Bit late now isn't it?

The guy came recommended by a friend whos roof was replaced by the guy 20 years ago. I guess a person can change a lot in that time. I feel a bit sorry for the guy sometimes cos I can see he isn't happy with his own work. Not my problem though is it?

Sponsored Links
Well after 20yrs you would expect the fella to know better eh :confused: .

Anyway no room for sentiment when you are dealing with such an important and expensive element of your home.

Good luck and hopeful for a satisfactory outcome for you Greg. :D

Maybe his last job was twenty years ago and it was an interlocking tile job or something..? Some of the errors are caused by not understanding simple rules , basic nailing techniques just are not there, never mind poor head lap on a low pitch! but I guess he sees his head lap governed by the adjoining roof which to a degree it is but there is a work round..
Re the 19x38 batten looks like that to me also, he could have easily used 19x50 to keep things level.

Test his knowledge, Ask how much headlap there is ..the top course has abou 20mm

Why bother having it checked out? It's wrong as everyone has told you. I'm sure the guy doing it is doing it as he's short of his usual work so he's short of money. No point taking someone to court that can't pay. If the slates/battens have to come of then they'll probably end up in the skip. I reckon you should stop the work then talk to a local guy about rescuing what's been done. Going legal will cost you far more than you get back.

I sacked the guy today. Definitely the right decision. Going to get it done properly and am happy to write off the grand I stupidly paid up front!

We like a happy man. :mrgreen:

If I were you I'd get some cheap tarps and cover the felt because it looks like it may well cascade the water into your loft when it rains (and it will do soon).

I just hope you can salvage the slates that are up there.

As he's continued the line from next door, the headlap was obviously minimal before it was stripped, and unless they're changed for bigger slates, surely the only option is to break the continuous lines of slates with next door and move the battens closer.

I'm interested to see some replies to snm's comment. Surely my slates have to follow the line of next doors' otherwise it would look weird.

Greg

If it was the wrong guage in the 1st place he should have put it right when renewing the roof either with a bonding gutter and increase the coursing or as already mentioned larger slates.

Secret bonding gutter's the way to go in my opinion. That's what I've just done on the back of my roof. That way you're free to change both the gauge and the thickness of batten. Also when next door's roof gets re-slated or tiled a few years down the line, the cowboys they get won't need to start tampering with your beautifully carefully fixed slates.

The only thing is, if you decide to go that route, you'll need your neighbour's permission to remove and re-fix an area of their slates to get the jointing strip in. And it needs to be well done, or they'll be blaming you if there's a leak!

http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/...ducts/gjs1-secret-roofing-jointing-strip.html

How do you change one if you get a problem? Anyone done it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back