Opinions please on if this re-felting is acceptable

I was hoping he’d say no.
orangelol.gif
If he refused to come back and fix it then I wouldn’t of had to pay.

Sponsored Links
Just had another roofer round for a look and to quote and he says the work isn’t all that bad looking at it from the outside.
a050.gif
Says the valleys would ideally have been put centrally but he didn’t think it was a major problem.

Just had another roofer round for a look and to quote and he says the work isn’t all that bad looking at it from the outside.
a050.gif
Says the valleys would ideally have been put centrally but he didn’t think it was a major problem.

Just a bit of advice, don't pay him & pay for a building inspector. I know it's extra, but what he will put it in a report will be worth every penny. Once the inspectors done this refuse to pay & basically say do your worse. From what I can see if he is a cowboy he won't take it up. He knows he's in the wrong. The job looks cheap so he'll leave it. i don't know how much he's charged but he seems to of gone lowest possible on outgoings so he's just left with profit. If he's really thick enough to think this is OK you have an inspectors report. Just be brave, be strong. Remember you earned that money to pay for this roof, why does he deserve it. If he gets intimidating report him to the police. You are 100% in the right.

Price for finishing the job by another roofer is £2750 (inclusive of VAT). My one was only gonna do the whole re-roof for £1200 - £1300. Still not paid my roofer owt yet but he handed me a breakdown to look at on what he’s spent on the job so far and it was £600+, about £400+ of that was for the scaffolding. (Makes it stupid for him to take it down only for him to put it up again. ) At the moment it’s left that he’ll return next week, I’m still on the edge of firing him/not firing him/firing him/not firing. My mum says he seems a nice enough chap and fairly reasonable and I’m sorta thinking it’s best to just let him have another bash at it. Afterall when we got arguing about money he backed down and said he’d do the whole lot for the price originally agreed. He still says the price was for what he’s done but seeing as I had a strop about it he backed down, if he does this job at a loss to himself it’s his own fault. I want what was agreed. & if getting someone else in to finish the job really does cost that huge amount even if I get a few quotes it’s still heaps of money, I don’t want to risk having to pick up a bill like that and worst still, perhaps the first roofers bill as well. It’d cost me a fortune.
087.gif
If I fire him and we get into a dispute and he does try small claims or wherever you go to to make people pay up, I don’t wanna risk being made to. I figure if I let him have another bash and he messes up then the mess is on him and then he’s really in the poo and I should be able to get someone else in and for him to pay their bill. If I fire him before I let him try to rectify the situation then I’m on dodgy ground. & if my ceiling gets ruined in the process then I’ll knock it off his bill. Frankly my ceiling looks rubbish anyway from old leaks, dunno why I’ve tried so hard to prevent damage to it really. BTW, I doubt he’ll start work next week, he’ll probably leave me hanging for a few weeks which is all good for my side of the argument.

I’ll come back here and give you updates over the next few weeks and you can see my despair or joy.

& my mate who recommended him (he’s best friends with the roofer) he says that the roofing felt is all up to BS standardy things anyway and that it shouldn’t matter if one side of my peak is done in white stuff and one side in black stuff. The rest of the roof he needs to re-felt is pretty much all up at the top anyway so that’ll all be done in the white stuff and should be fine I’d have thought. Of course I’ll be scrutinizing his work as he does it.

At the end of the job when it’s time to pay I might have someone else round to look at what he’s done. Where do you get building inspectors from anyway? You don’t mean like a surveyor do you? I had one of them do a survey on the house before I bought it, he messed up. I took it to the Ombudsman Service afterwards and he had to pay me £900.

Sure hope in a few years time I ain’t back on this forum complaining of leaking. It’d be pretty funny if I have another round of re-roofing, I think most people only have a house re-roofed on average once in their lifetime, I might end up setting a record.

Oh and a bit of extra news, another roofer I spoke to says going into lofts ain’t really the norm and that they only do it sometimes and that they wear protective disposable slipper things so that they don’t make a mess on carpets. My roofer having my house key for the last 3 weeks and being in and out of my house all the time isn’t normal. Hope I get it back soon. I’m sick of wiping up pee from around my toilet, why the hell can’t men aim?

Sponsored Links
A re-roof for 1200 quid and you wonder why it's gone t*ts up?

My one was only gonna do the whole re-roof for £1200

Is that price including material, skip and scaffold?

Regardless.. you cannot get a professional re-roof for that kind of money.

Yeah I figured it was a decent price before he started. Although one FMB roofer verbally said he could work for £340 a day with two men and the scaffolding would be included in that but the materials would have been on top, he didn’t say how many days he’d work for but I got the impression it’d be 2 or 3. But he decided later that he didn’t want to take the job on which was a bummer.

Didn’t get any proper quotes for re-roofing the front of the roof from anyone else though. But even if it is a cheap price I wasn’t expecting the sh*t I’ve been through, his best friend told me I’d get a good job because he’s good at what he does (he says) and the low price was due to me being a mutual friend. If he priced it too low and he ends up not making any money on it it ain’t my fault. & yeah, the £1200 - £1300 was including the scaffolding. There hasn’t been a skip though, I don’t think it was needed. He had a few bin liners of rubbish on my path for a few days and I spent a few hours clearing up all the mess in the garden on the weekend cos I figured he wasn’t going to and that’s in my wheelie bin.

It sounds to me like a guy taking on work he's not familiar with and it's gone a bit pear shaped.

I agree. He has his own property maintenance business, I guess re-roofing isn’t something he does every day. I think he regrets ever agreeing to do the job now.

Update for anyone's who's interested: -

My roofer never returned to finish the work like he said he would. :rolleyes: He gave a date of when he'd be back but it came and went. No idea if he's taking me to small claims court over the money, I haven't paid him anything. I'm now looking for another roofer but it looks like it'll be twice the price. The roof's been leaking since April, I long for a non leaky roof.

Update for anyone's who's interested: -

My roofer never returned to finish the work like he said he would. :rolleyes: He gave a date of when he'd be back but it came and went. No idea if he's taking me to small claims court over the money, I haven't paid him anything. I'm now looking for another roofer but it looks like it'll be twice the price. The roof's been leaking since April, I long for a non leaky roof.
From what you've said so far, I don't think he would get very far taking you to court. The work was sub-standard and you refused to pay. Fair enough.
You gave him the chance to put it right and he hasn't come back, so he hasn't got a claim there either.

It's going to cost you a bit more than you originally thought, but at least you won't have paid twice.

He knows he messed up and was incapable of leaving a satisfactory job.
If anything it should be you taking him to the small claims court to rectify his workmanship.

Hope you have better luck with your next roofer...Mind you only get what you pay for.

Roofers are driving me mad. I’m trying to get costs in now to put right my roof, had two round yesterday, one I think has a good reputation and says he’s been doing roofs for 35 years. I met him, he talked in detail about things that are wrong and what would need to be done which is basically take the whole lot off, sounded like he knew what he was talking about, I asked him for a rough price and he said £3500 +VAT. But on the other hand I think I attracted one of the worst roofers in the country from my ad on the FMB ‘Find A Builder’ website, he wants to repair my roof for only £500. But he travelled 27 miles and then went to the wrong house. Mustn’t have been able to read his own writing and confused a 2 for a 7. Had to go again. No info on how he’d repair the roof and he said I needed the back of my house re-roofing too for £1500 due to it having moss on. Another company who is FMB registered wanted to leave the bit that my latest roofer had re-roofed but replace the lead on the leaking valley and to re-roof the rest of the front at £2750. I need to decide now who to go with but I’m still awaiting another quote from another reputable roofer. £3500 +VAT is sure gonna hurt if I end up paying that much. Yeah I want it right but it seems steep. & yeah, if I end up paying that amount it sure does encourage me to try and sue the other roofer for breach of contract cos he didn’t do what he said he’d do and didn’t do it right, not sure I could make a case stand up against him though as he’s never once put anything in writing to me and disputes the work that we agreed on him doing. He says he never intended to re-roof all of the front. It would have been a good idea for him to re-roof the half with the new leaks in though instead of the half without if that was the case though. Gaah! I’ve been backwards and forwards with Citizens Advice and Trading Standards, neither of them have said I have a wonderful case to go after him but Trading Standards are writing to him to try and put him off going after me for money. Oh and he still has my house key. :rolleyes:

Roofers are driving me mad. . . . Oh and he still has my house key. :rolleyes:
That`s an easy one - change the locks - you can DIY that with help from the forum here. As to the rest - I`m suffering emoticon overload :eek: Hope it pans out OK for you.

It's cheaper to put a lock on your knicker drawer. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back