Opinions please on if this re-felting is acceptable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Feltcomparisons-Copy.jpg

The new felt has been put on the peaked area of my roof.

2012-07-12DayNineofre-roofinge-1.jpg

I haven’t had an explanation why my roofer has done the two sides differently but I know someone who says that he has roof problems due to white breathable felt being laid at the bottom of his roof and that roofers have told him that the felt was laid wrongly and that the bottom part which reaches near to the gutter should be made of a more durable material so that it doesn’t blow around in the wind and get wet and rot and that’s why he has the problems he has with his roof. Should I be worried? :confused:

Sponsored Links
The gable end should have a better overhang over the wall. The underlay should have an eaves protector. Hard to see 100% but the underlay looks a little too tight. Possibly. Why hasn't he gone the whole length of the roof on the join with hip tiles, is beyond reason. The valley isn't cut straight. I'm sorry to say but it doesn't look like it's been installed to a high standard. Does the blue underlay feel the same as the white underlay? Hard to tell from a photo why it has been done.

It's crap. Don't pay them until its put right

No verge overhang and unacceptable valley for starters

And it seems like you have not had any plastic eaves trays fitted - the bits which go in to the gutter

Thanks for responding. It’s a great help because I haven’t known where to go for advice.

The gable end should have a better overhang over the wall.
You mean the tiles are supposed to overhang the wall a bit? (Bear with me, I’m female and blond.) The tiles on the very front of my house are in the same position as they were before and all the houses on my street don’t have the tiles overhanging the front wall.

The underlay should have an eaves protector. Hard to see 100% but the underlay looks a little too tight. Possibly.
What’s an eaves protector and does it go on the outside or in the loft?

Why hasn't he gone the whole length of the roof on the join with hip tiles, is beyond reason.
I got ripped off by another roofer 4 years ago when I bought the house, he did a bad job, didn’t cut tiles properly, didn’t re-felt when he pulled up tiles and he plonked cement in place of where small triangular tiles should have been placed on the valley.

2012-05roofvalleyupclosebyPaulCurtem-1.jpg

He was also a total pervert and creeped me out. I’m sure he’s the reason why I had a lot of the leaks I was getting and it was him who put those massive hip tiles between me and my neighbour. The roofer I have now said he wanted to keep the old hip tiles and says it doesn’t matter that they don’t reach the bottom of the roof as he says the bottom bit is owned by next-door. Frankly I’m not confident with my new roofers work and what he tells me. I asked him to completely re-roof the front of my house, keep what tiles he could but put down new felt all over so that way I’d know it was done right and all leaks would go but he decided not to re-roof the entire lot, he’s only re-felted the peaked area and partially around the valley and I have a leak by my chimney which he thinks he’s mended but I don’t as I can still hear dripping noises. Water would only run down the chimney stack in extremely heavy rain but I could always hear the dripping and I’m sure there’s water still dripping onto the felt and running down my roof somewhere. To be honest I think I’m getting a bad job, I’m very concerned. The old felt that he’s left on the roof (not the peaked area) has holes in it, I’ve complained and said I wanted it replacing but he’s ignored me and when he was finishing the job and pointing up the valleys I took him into the loft and pointed at one area I’m very concerned with and he just told me he’d put new felt over the top of the old to shut me up, I don’t believe him at all because he’s lied about so many things. He left me for 6 days with water pouring in because of how he’d re-felted the valleys, every day there was torrential downpours and thunderstorms and I’ve spent hours in my loft trying to catch the water in bowls. On one day he left me overnight with no tiles on one side of the peak and just my old holey felt there, he didn’t put any sheeting over and I could see daylight through the holes, along came a thunderstorm and it was like someone turning on a tap and I just had to catch the water and divert it the best I could. The next day was forecasted as heavy persistent rain all day with flood warnings, at that point there was only new felt on both peaked areas and it was like a tent, he told me not to worry and go to work but I thought better of it, during that day I spent hours up there trying to deal with SIXTEEN leaks. He’s caused me so much stress in the two weeks he’s been working on my roof. He said it was a 2 – 3 day job and I’ve been put through hell. I’ve set my alarm clock to wake me up every hour on some nights so that I can go up into my loft to check things and empty bowls, I’ve scratted around in darkness with a torch (there’s no light up there) on my hands and knees and on my belly in some spaces, I’ve gotten filthy, every hour, I’ve bruised myself umpteen times because it’s such a confined space, I’ve gotten splitters from the wood up there, it’s like doing gymnastics getting over one roof beam and he hasn’t given a damn about the amount of effort I’ve put in to protecting my ceiling from water damage. Without all my hard work my ceiling and bedroom would definitely need to be replastered and decorated. I was stupid enough to not get a price in writing, not that the price he estimated was for the work he’s done. He said it would be between £1200 & £1300 for re-roofing the front, well he hasn’t done that. One valley is still leaking, I think the chimney still has a problem, he’s taken away the scaffolding and now I don’t know what to do.

The valley isn't cut straight.
Yes, sorry, this was an old picture. The roofer said what was needed was to close up the gap a bit between the tiles to stop my leaks and when I saw what he’d done on this side of the valley I put my foot down and told him to redo it, he wasn’t happy at all but he re-cut some of the tiles and this is how it is now.

2012-07-14DayElevenofre-roofinge.jpg

I'm sorry to say but it doesn't look like it's been installed to a high standard. Does the blue underlay feel the same as the white underlay? Hard to tell from a photo why it has been done.
The bluey black felt feels a lot harder and sturdy than the white breathable felt.

It's crap. Don't pay them until its put right

No verge overhang and unacceptable valley for starters

And it seems like you have not had any plastic eaves trays fitted - the bits which go in to the gutter
I don’t know what they are but I presume I didn’t have them before, are you sure I need them?

Sponsored Links
& sorry, I probably should have only started one thread here, this could get confusing. :oops:

I know, it looks sh*t. I was thinking when I was getting the roof re-roofed again those dumb looking things would go.
sad.gif

Basically, the whole thing is a pile of ****. :evil:

Pay him nothing and sue for damage caused by his failure to take reasonable steps to maintain the integrity of your property whilst carrying out the works.

I hope you havent paid him anything.

That valley is beyond belief!

Basically, the whole thing is a pile of s**t. :evil:

Pay him nothing and sue for damage caused by his failure to take reasonable steps to maintain the integrity of your property whilst carrying out the works.
My bedroom ceiling hasn’t been badly damaged during his works, I did everything I could to save it as I didn’t want to have it replastered, I didn’t/don’t want the aggravation. There’s only minor damage which I can live with.

He was also a total pervert and creeped me out.
:eek: :eek: ---- You get that with roofers :mrgreen:
sad.gif

I hope you havent paid him anything.

That valley is beyond belief!
So that’s everyone’s thoughts then? ..... That the work is unacceptable?

sad.gif

I hate being in this position.
sad.gif
I don’t know what to do.
sad.gif
I haven’t paid him, he wants some money but I tried wriggling out of it last week but he’s coming to my house tonight.
sad.gif
I shouldn’t have agreed to having him round.
sad.gif
I’m so gullible and dumb.
sad.gif
He’s gonna bully me and not take no for an answer I’m sure.
sad.gif
Cr*p.
sad.gif
Wish I had a nutter bodybuilder husband to answer the door to him and deal with him.
sad.gif

Tell him you are getting a professional survey done on the roof and you will pay him once it has passed inspection (it wont)

Dont let him past the front door!

Easy for us to say i know :cry:

Good luck.

You could always be "out" or have an urgent matter to attend to so as to cancel his appointment

You have the upper hand here, although you may not feel like it. If need be just have a companion with you. No need for them to get involved just to be there

As Alastair said, tell him you are not happy, and have some concerns and would like a professional opinion. And until then, you will be withholding full payment.

Now, after a bit of [inevitable] negotiation, to show good faith, you could agree to pay something - say for the scaffold as that is at the builders cost. But not for any labour or materials until the work has been checked.

Hold on to the money and you will keep the upper hand.

The work does appear to be very poor.
Now, if you were quoted top money for this then, he has not a chance of getting it. Even if you paid for a cheap job, then even so it is not up to standard and not worth paying for

I don’t know where I stand now.
sad.gif
I had my mum round when he came and somehow its been agreed that he will re-roof the rest of the roof that he hasn’t touched.

For the price he initially said to me. We argued about the price and the work done and that it still leaks and to resolve the matter that’s how its been left.... that he’s coming back to do the rest of the roof. He wanted paying extra but I said no. He wanted paying for materials so far but I said no. The scaffolding is to go up again next week or later this week.
sad.gif
I’m not actually sure if I can fire him without paying him for what he’s done. Not sure its that easy.
sad.gif
I spoke to another roofer who’s in the Federation Of Master Builders (my roofer isn’t), he isn’t so sure I can fire him and not pay. He said if he was in the FMB something can be done but because he’s not he isn’t so sure. I need to phone Citizens Advice.
sad.gif
I don’t have the confidence that the roof would be right when he’s finished and I’m terrified of having water pouring in again whilst he’s working on it, he seems incapable of keeping it watertight.
sad.gif
Not happy.
sad.gif

I can't understand why you would let him loose on additional work when what he has already done is crap.

Speak with your councils trading standards to get advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back