Opinions please on if this re-felting is acceptable

Don’t diss emoticons, they’re boss!

Think I will change my lock at some point. Well have to really. I can get a friend to fit it.

Had a couple more quotes in for reroofing the whole of the front. £3200 (inc VAT) by a FMB firm and approx. £1550 by a bloke who doesn’t advertise but goes by word of mouth. I actually have good feeling about this bloke and am thinking I may go with him, I was thinking that even before he said the price and the price is just the topping on the cake but is it too good to be true? Would I be being dumb and deluded to go with him? Someone on here said “you get what you pay for”, that’s playing with my mind.
105.gif
He offered to add references in with his written quote so I’ll check them out when I get them but for all I know they may be recommendations by his family and friends if he’s a con artist. Although I know someone’s happy with his work cos that’s how I heard about him and got his number. Seems as clued up as any of the other more expensive people and he said he could see the cracks in my lead valleys straight away and that they’re obvious, he went up with some Leadmate and slammed some of that on as a temporary measure. He said there’s a 10 year guarantee but the bloke I had screw it up this summer had that too but look where that got me.

Oh and he suggested I get new tiles, he said it’s up to me though if I want them or not but thinking about it it seems a good idea. He said mine look about 20 yrs old and that they usually last about 50-60 years and that for adding new ones is only about £250 extra for me so I think I’ll go with that if it means I get an extra 20 years without having to reroof. If I stay in the house ‘til I’m old I don’t really wanna reroof (I never want to have to go through this again) and if I sell I guess saying there’s new tiles is a good selling point.

Anyway what do you think? Is £1550 for reroofing the front asking for trouble?

Sponsored Links
Thought I’d come back and give an up-date. The new roofer (guy who’s half the price of everyone else
105.gif
) looks to be doing a decent job. He hasn’t put new lead on the chimney yet but I reckon’ he’ll be finished and gone today. Only got the scaffolding up last Thursday too, he and his mate work pretty darn fast.

2012-10-20f_zps28a5303b.jpg

2012-10-20g_zpsb21396aa.jpg

2012-10-20e_zps17f1d196.jpg

2012-10-20d_zpsc7176bff.jpg

2012-10-20h_zps90b1bc10.jpg

Let me know if anything looks wrong.

Oh thank God for that.
smilie2001.gif

I was thinking this too. I was completely dreading him starting thinking he was going to turn out to be like the last two idiots but when I got home after the first day and saw how much work he’d done I felt relief. It’s so nice to have valleys that are central, not wonky and look the part.
a078.gif
Also I haven’t found any damage to my house or garden yet and he completely swept up the garden, I came home to no mess!!! I even had to laugh my head off on the second day after he’d done the cementing, I went to draw my bedroom curtains and he’d cleaned my windows. I’d had cement splattered across my bedroom window for months. I figured there must be some catch and that there has to be a reason why he’s half the price of everyone else, so far I can’t see it.

Sponsored Links
url] I figured there must be some catch and that there has to be a reason why he’s half the price of everyone else, so ]
Because he`s a proper Tradesman :idea: Give him a £tip and tell him you`ll recommend him to anyone he asks you for a reference - you`ve seen the worst in roofing ( Roy and Pete) now you`ve got one of the best ;) P.S. That`s Diddycoy Roy and P1key Pete

You’ve lost me. Who’s Diddycoy Roy and P1key Pete? Is there a humorous joke in there?

& yeah, sure I'll recommend him to anyone. I've got about 900 facebook mates and have been talking about roofs non-stop since April, everyone knows about my roofing problems, I reckon' he's got a good chance of more work now.

Edit what I said about him not being finished and having to put new lead on the chimney, I just presumed he’d not finished as the old lead is clearly visible and the quote said he was putting on new lead but he says he’s finished so those pics above are the finished roof. Just waiting for the scaffolding to come down now. He must have put new lead to the side of the chimney, I had a leak around that area. I don’t need to be worried about him keeping most of the old lead on do I? Is it likely to be near the end of its life? It has been mucked about with quite a bit, see this old pic. This summer's roofer stuck some kind of felty thingie over part of it in one of his two vain attempts at stopping the chimney leak.

11-08-12
k5009.jpg

You defo think the leadwork looks ok as it is now?

BTW, just out of my own curiosity, has anyone any idea what the purpose of these two nails coming through my old roofing felt was? That was this summer’s roofer’s handiwork. It puzzled me what he was nailing to my roof.

24-09-12
35mib88.jpg

Oh and I thought I’d show off the original poor effort of felting around the chimney (didn't even reach the wall) and compare it to how it is now. Looks so much better.
a078.gif

17-09-12
28rjm04.jpg

18-10-12
24uvz39.jpg

He probably missed the rafter when fixing the battens.

Why have stuck your pants on the end of that stick?

And I had to really zoom in on those photos to view them. Could you maybe make them bigger?

Do you like my rags on the end of a pole idea?
a078.gif
I ended up getting rather ingenious of my ways to avoid water hitting my bedroom ceiling, see these shots. It ended up being an assault course making it from one end of the loft to the other to check things and empty my bowls every hour or two in the middle of the night. So many bamboo canes around that I daren’t knock out of place, kept getting myself stuck on the TV aerial in there, bowls scattered all around, wasn’t much headroom and I had to crawl about in places and heave myself over a beam spanning left to right in the loft, it’s pitch black up there and the loft boards are dodgy, it’s amazing I haven’t gone through the ceiling in one of my sleep deprived states. Mind you, I’m having new loft insulation next week, one of the fitters will probably go through the ceiling then.

11-07-12
2012-07-11ndashDayEightofre-roofingj_zpsed1c99ad.jpg

10-07-12
2012-07-10ndashDaySevenofre-roofingb_zps084fa890.jpg

05-07-12
2012-07-05ndashDayTwoofre-roofingg_zps113b7ef2.jpg

15-08-12
2012-08-15_zps3c8ee09a.jpg

& yeah I could make my photos bigger but then they’d be a bit blurry.

You must be as pleased as punch now with the final result. Think you did very well with dealing with a cowboy rogue builder - it'll have put hairs on your chest ;) :mrgreen: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back