Opinions please on if this re-felting is acceptable

Sponsored Links
It’s a leak, not a big one but there were a couple of trickles of water coming down the brickwork in the loft under where my tiles butt into my neighbour’s on the left chimney. Haven’t had a leak in that spot before. Hopefully it should be simple to fix.
Any photo's?

If it's condensation then will need ventilation

Is the loft trap draughty? or any other pipe work not sealed on the ceiling level?

Just spoken to the roofer and he says he came back last Wednesday (like he said he would). Told me there was some old cement around the bottom step flashing that had corroded probably due to the ice and he ripped it all out and put Leadmate there. He said when they did the roof in October they put new soakers. I’m female, does that sound good?

It wasn’t leaking on Friday after we had a lot of hard rain but then again I’ve only seen it leak once anyway. Hope it’s fixed and is a good permanent fix. If he’s replaced old cement for Leadmate is that satisfactory?

@ masona – Sorry, only just noticed your post. I didn’t take a photo cos my camera wouldn’t work that day. Typical. It was only a couple of dribbles down the brickwork but I guess seeing as the roofer found a problem it defo must have been a proper leak and not condensation. There is condensation in my loft though, I nearly had a heart attack on my last visit up there when I spotted it cos I haven’t seen condensation up there before cos I’ve only been going up since this April. The back half of my roof is old thick black plasticy felt and the new half is white breathable felt, the old black felt near the loft insulation had beads of water on it. When I first saw it I thought I had a new leak. Until I crawled about on my hands and knees getting filthy to get a better look and realized beads of water were all over the felt near to the insulation.
smilie2001.gif
The loft ain’t overly draughty but now that there’s new breathable felt on one half it makes it a bit more windy than it was. When I had a survey done on the house before I bought it it recommended getting roof air vent thingies up there but I figured with the new breathable felt I’ve got now condensation should be less of a problem. Not sure if I’ve got unsealed pipework.
hmn.gif
How would I know? Leaking on my ceiling? I presume all the pipes up there are ok. I think if one was leaking the loft insulation people would have told me cos they covered a load of the pipes in that foamy stuff.

Leaking all over the place now. In the same place which he said he’d fixed last week but there’s more water than before (presumably because it rained for longer) and it’s coming down the brickwork of my chimney stack at the other side of the house where I used to have a leak, but worse is its coming down the brickwork to the rear of the roof but my 10 year guarantee is only for the front of my roof because I only had that bit re-roofed although I have my suspicions about whether any water is coming in from around the new ridge tiles on top of the house which in turn could cause water to roll down the back bit. Not too happy. My dream in the summer time was to climb up to my loft on a horrible weather Christmas Eve and come back down with a smile, my Christmas dream is smashed.

Phoned the roofer up last night and got a b*llocking for phoning too late, (9.45pm ) but he says he’ll come back in the new year. I don’t suppose any of you know why it’d be leaking without seeing pictures?
smilie_xmas_285.gif
It’s wet on my brickwork basically all around underneath where the tiles meet the chimneys, is that a common fault? He didn’t replace the leadwork which I can see from on the road but as I’ve said he says he put new soakers (whatever they are) when he re-roofed it.

Sponsored Links
Ask him if he fitted a saddle under the ridge tile?

A soaker is a piece of lead that goes under the tile or slate and up the wall. A piece of flashing is fixed over the soaker and into the wall thus making a watertight joint.

Cheers Yorkie, I’ll ask.

Here’s some of my festive photos of what’s been going on in my loft, leaking below each chimney, plus a few photos of the roof.

Rained heavy the day before but didn’t have a camera that day, this is at 4pm the next day 21-12-12.

2012-12-214pma_zpsd0ec30d7.jpg

2012-12-214pmb_zps4c85acf1.jpg

2012-12-214pmc_zps986dfae7.jpg

2012-12-214pmd_zps6beda62f.jpg

22-12-12 8pm.

2012-12-228pma_zps133782f0.jpg

2012-12-228pmb_zps9ab42fe2.jpg

2012-12-228pmc_zps1111e40d.jpg

2012-12-228pmd_zps946796ec.jpg

2012-12-228pme_zps9121f17b.jpg

2012-12-228pmf_zpsa8ec2b21.jpg

2012-12-228pmg_zps6960c8b7.jpg

26-12-12.

2012-12-26a_zps9aec3f14.jpg

2012-12-26b_zps99f1510b.jpg

2012-12-26c_zps18e1302b.jpg

27-12-12

2012-12-27b_zps544bc9d8.jpg

2012-12-27a_zps83a5ca06.jpg

2012-12-27c_zpsaf65322a.jpg

2012-12-27d_zpsaabb5867.jpg

Hope he comes back and sorts it.

Hmn well he came back yesterday so that’s something although when I checked my loft last night there was still water present at both leaking areas which I thought looked like brand new water, I guess I’ll find out if it’s leaking exactly the same as it has been doing in due course. God I hate rain.
sigh.gif

One question I have to ask but forgot about is, can condensation form on breathable felt? Cos there’s been a few bubbles of water in just one spot on my roof recently. In your opinion would you just think its condensation and nothing more? It’s in this pic if you look close. Cheers.

2012-12-29c_zps050184f3.jpg

could be wrong, but no condensation shouldnt form in the loft as far as I know.

that is why you insulate the floor of the loft to keep the heat down inside the house, use breathable membranes and make sure the loft has adeqaute ventilation in the eves so airflow flows through the loft and it stays a cold zone.

Don’t say that, I’d convinced myself that the beads of water on my new breathable felt is condensation. I’m pretty curious as to what’s going on in my loft at the mo actually, I’m picturing icicles hanging down from the beams. I daredn’t put my head up through the loft hatch though cos I’ll lose precious heat into the loft. My boiler packed in. Haven’t had heat since last Friday. Need a new damn boiler. Think I’ll freeze to death before it gets fitted. Me and my house are totally cursed.
smilie_wet_050.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back