Options for supply to electric garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My existing electrically operated garage door (only means of entry) is on the main house 13 amp ring protected by RCD unfortunately the CU is in the same gaurage! This means when the RCD operates it can not be reset without using the manual fall back mechanism for the door which my wife can not operate (you need to be tall and strong).

Can anyone help with options to reconnect and what would be best?

Sponsored Links
Apart from HERTS' excellent advice -

The door will have to be put on a circuit not controlled by this RCD.

Does it often trip?

Provide a new circuit for the garage door only that is from an MCB that is not RCD protected.

If the garage door plugs in to a socket you should note that all sockets have to be RCD protected. So you would have to change that plug/socket for an FCU.

Sponsored Links
I was wondering about FCU or if RSBO would be better as still have move from RCD side of CU.
1) FCU cheap but still have to move to none RCD side
2) Not sure if you can get RSBO for Wylex NH21ED4

Was wondering if some one could find a way not involving CU both of the above would require certification etc?

Only tripped twice in last couple of years for known reasons, all sorted, but both times very inconveniently as I was not around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back