Outdoor Electrics - Part II

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just got around to ripping out old cupboard to replace old wylex boxes with new consumer unit. I think billy the kid wired this thing, not an expert but this thing looks dangerous (will post pics l8r). Not gonna attempt it my self, gonna get a Fully Qualified spark in. Just a quick question, in my excitement i went and bought all the MCB's and new 10 Way split load Consumer Unit. Will a spark have any probs cause i bought my own? and how much am i looking at just to rip out the old boxes and replece with Consumer Unit?

Cheers Guys
Jamie

Sponsored Links
spark may or may not have a problem fitting what you have bought... you see he is the designer and may want to use stuff which he knows is good quality and what he is familiar with-its a personnel choice so you will have to ask.

get three qoutes from recommended sparks and use your gut instinct to decide which one to 'employ'. dont just neccesarilly go for the cheapest.

Hate using stuff bought by others.

Sparks can get decent gear at cheaper prices than gen public, and even after adding their LITTLE cut on, can still out strip what others pay.

The only time this doesn't ring true is when gen public buy a cheap and crappy item, and a sparky buys a decent model.

Sponsored Links
Contactum is a reasonable make. I tend to standardise on Wylex & MK and carry spares for those so I dont get stuck on site with all the house wiring hanging out of the wall and I need something unforseen.
Your spark may have his own preferences as mentioned above.

You need to get your spark to check your installation. For instance, if you have what is called a TT supply then you will need an additional (Time delay) RCD.... its not neceessarily just a straight swap.

Anyone know a good spark! Was thinking of getting the guy who done this back, what you think? :eek:

electrics1.jpg

electrics2.jpg

electrics3.jpg

Jambo

YUCK! those fuse boxes are way past it. I'd say leave this to a sparky, unless you really know what you're doing.

That box with 60 amp written on it - is there an earth wire there? Might be worth phoning or writing to your DNO to see if a PME earth is available, as their side looks pretty new.

Give WPD a ring at 0845 6013341 and request a PME earth terminal - the standard rate is £52 (plus VAT) where the supply is suitable.

Cheers guys, will get on the blower to WPD when i get home! There is some earthing wire at the top left of middle pic. Not sure where is goes though! Definately gonna get a good spark in to do this bit, once this is sorted i'm confident that i can do all the rest (outdoor) myself but this one looks RAF so will get it done properly.

P.s. Neath Port Talbot here Davy if you fancy a job :)

Cheers Again
Jamie

If you drop me an email or put your email address in your profile I could offer you some recommendations..

If you intend on getting the CU changed by a spark and then doing the external electrical work yourself, you will still have to notify the work you do so it will probably work out cheaper to either do both yourself or get the spark to do both.

Did rewire my bro's house and then got a NICEIC spark in to check EVERYTHING and sign off. Spark was a friend of a friend so done it for £60. Unfortuntely he's REALLY busy so can't do anything for about a month and i need to get this done to crack on with other stuff.

p.s. eMail now in profile!

Jamie

Hi Guys,

Western Power just got back to me with regards to fitting a PME earth. They want £250 to fit it, is this over the top or normal price, i thought £52 + VAT. Opinions? Should i have it done or not?

Thanks
Jamie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back