Replace old consumer unit with new RCD type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post and hoping someone "in the know" can point me in the right direction :)

Currently (no pun intended) we have an old-style plug-in Wylex fuse box/consumer unit ( http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g188/Eggenberg4Ever/DSCF3269.jpg ) and we're looking to upgrade this to a modern type, preferably one with "trip switches" (sorry, I'm not a spark so the terminology may be incorrect) - a Wylex 10-Way Fully Insulated Dual RCD Consumer Unit has been recommended as a good alternative by a friend.

Is this new consumer unit a viable alternative before I go and spend money on what might be a white elephant?

BTW - I will NOT be carrying out the work; I will get the services of a fully qualified spark ;)

All thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Then please have the electrician supply the CU.

It's part of the design, which he'll be signing to say he did, he may have particular makes he prefers for reasons of ease of installation or reliability, he may be unwilling to offer a warranty on equipment you source, and he'll be able to get it cheaper than you can.

its the sort of thing you will need, but if you are employing a sparks, I would leave the spec up to them, some sparks have preffed brand to work on, and can generally get them cheaper than the public.

I also prefer an RCD side and RCBOs on a non-RCD side depending on the installation, increases the cost slightly, but IMO is a better way of getting protection of socket circuits

Thanks for the advice guys - I'll get 3 quotes and take it from there ;)

Sponsored Links
As ever, personal recommendations are always the best way to find a reputable tradesman, but if you're having to go ahead without much in the way of those, or references, don't put any store by registration itself - sadly it is possible to become registered with woefully inadequate qualifications and zero practical experience. You don't have to spend long here to see people cropping up who are registered and "qualified", but who are clearly seriously incompetent in reality and who should not be charging for their services.

You're looking for someone to replace a CU, and sort out any associated issues with your existing wiring. It's quite possible to become a registered electrician without ever having done anything like that.

It's your money, £'00s of it, and you have every right to ask prospective tradesmen what their qualifications are. Just being listed here is not a good enough guide. No genuinely experienced electrician, with the "full set" of C&G qualifications will mind you asking - in fact he will wish that everyone was like you.

I feel sorry for people who have been misled by training organisations and (shamefully) the Competent Person scheme organisers into thinking that a 5-day training course, a couple of trivial examples of their work and some basic understanding of how to use test equipment will make them an electrician, but not sorry enough to agree with them trying to sell their services to Joe Public.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back