Outdoor Kitchen/Grill Area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Picture of my outside grill area, almost completed.

I can bore with some details if required!

Attachments

• Grill Area.jpg
    Grill Area.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 510
Sponsored Links
You asked for it! Wifey has nagged for something over and above a bbq grill for ages, and lockdown was the push to get on it.
I agonised over everything- I'm a gasher really- the structure, the finish, the size (the cost!).

We settled on a 2800mm square slab- shoulda gone for about 2300- timbers will fit better!

The thing has H&C water and electrics; and a wine fridge.

It was hard, we had to barrow the concrete 30m ish, and Mrs Golf is not built for barrowing. Temp was about 28 in brilliant sunshine. The result was average!

120 mm slab with some mesh I had lying around. Oh, I got some pvc wastes in for ducts too.

Attachments

• Unknown-4.jpeg
    Unknown-4.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 374
Based on what I am capable of, rather than a better solution, I decided on a carcass of C24 treated timber 4x2, clad with external ply finished with real stone.
Rightly or wrongly, I decided to wrap the bottom timbers with dpc- I had good results with my shed doing that 20 years ago!

Attachments

• Unknown-3.jpeg
    Unknown-3.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 385
Sponsored Links
There followed an inner frame, seen here when the stone was going on. The grill's right hand shelf had to be shortened by about an inch which I did ok ish. But I forgot the inner sheathing, so now have to do it again.

Attachments

• Unknown-5.jpeg
    Unknown-5.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 465
I have no pics of the plumbing..

I had an outside tap feeding a hozelock manifold. For the cold, I removed the tap and replaced it with speedfit to the junction with the manifold, tee'd off left to the grill and right to the manifold. On the manifold side I inserted a double check valve.
For the hot I ran a new line alongside the cold, again with isolation valve and check valve.
The pipes are buried.

For the electrics, my spark took a second feed from an outside socket. SWA and buried.

On the plumbing... Here's where the outside tap was replaced on the cold feed, and where the new hot feed emerges. It also shows the chippings area under which the pipes lay.

Attachments

• Unknown-7.jpeg
    Unknown-7.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 371
Here's where it goes round the side of the house out of sight, and emerges to feed the standard Hozelock manifold. We'd been using that for ages. This, and the pipes in the previous pic will have a neat box. One day!

Attachments

• Unknown-8.jpeg
    Unknown-8.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 327
This is a pic showing the newly piped up sink; and the sheathing behind the wine fridge and drawers. All the stainless stuff is from Amazon- there is a single drawer the other side; and a stainless steel door to make a cupboard under the sink. All the ducts came in under the sink.

Attachments

• Unknown-6.jpeg
    Unknown-6.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 381
And here's the grill, which we got last year. The eagle-eyed will see that the right side is narrower than the left. I removed and cut down the original to fit with hand tools, and resized and refitted the stainless front bit. The extreme right side of the black shelf part was really quite sharp when cut, so I cut and rebated a bit of timber with the table router to take up the sharp edges. A very good result. (By my bodger standards:D.)

Attachments

• Unknown-9.jpeg
    Unknown-9.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Looks absolutely superb, do you get the weather up there to make the most of it? Perhaps a roof would be worth considering.
Either way congratulations, Mrs G must be proud

Thank you. It's more that we like to eat outside whenever we can, not just bbq-ing. Roof? Maybe: when we were grilling as it was going up, there were days when I was really wilting in the heat! If we do a roof, it'll likely be more of a pergola. Due to my worktop choice, 4x2 glued and screwed, I'm certainly going to need covers- maybe like boat covers or the like, cos you can't keep water out. But I knew that from the off.

Mrs G is chuffed!

Looks good, are you concerned about the longevity of the top?

FWIW, horses for courses of course, but I really detest eating outside. o_O

Looks good, are you concerned about the longevity of the top?

FWIW, horses for courses of course, but I really detest eating outside. o_O

Eddie- Ha! Those horses and course!

I agonised over the worktop. Concrete in situ/cast concrete/badly done concrete with tiles to hide it/scaffold boards. You name it, I wavered over it. Yes, the longevity is a consideration, but I plan to look after it in fairly undemanding ways- treatment (gonna make it darker)to seal it more, and covers will make a difference. At the end of the day, if it's a failure, I can do something else, but for now, it was something I knew I could do- I'm no tradesman after all.

CG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back