Outdoor light is "always on"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope someone can help me out with this. Changed about 10 switches/sockets in my kitchen with no problems except for this one!

There is an intermediate switch in the kitchen that controls the outdoor security lamp. I'm positive i copied the wires as the were but the problem is it seems the lamp is always on. The motion sensor turns the actual bulb on and off - but if the bulb is on and i flick the switch it doesn't do anything.

I've posted my ms paint masterpiece of how it's hooked up. Can anyone see anything obvious that I am missing? I think the black with red sleeve is a switched live from the light but i'm confused as to whats wrong.

w0t0ro.jpg

"Same cable" means the red and black cores from one grey cable. The 2 earths are twisted together and in the earth terminal.

Sponsored Links
Do you also have another two (or more) switches which also switch the light? If so can you describe how those are wired.

You sure there's a red sleeve is on the black? At a guess what you took off may have been a double pole switch and changed it for an intermediate switch. What does it say on the back of the old one?
How many positions could you switch it from?

Sponsored Links
maybe the intermediate switch is the problem !

Are there any more switches that control that light ?

Maybe it is live and neutral and all your doing is swapping the polarity when you flick the switch. Very odd to have red sleeving fitted if this is the case though.

Maybe a 2 pole swtich was intended.
Need to find out for sure before you change it though !

This is the only switch that controls the light.

The old socket I took off had on the back :

In
L N

Out
L N

Yes that wasn't an intermediate switch, it was a 2 pole switch. You could make the new switch work just by removing the 2 blacks and connecting them together in a bit of terminal block. BUT it's odd that there is red sleeving on the black wire and I'd be a bit wary in case the polarity is wrong and you end up switching the neutral.

This is the only switch that controls the light.

The old socket I took off had on the back :

In
L N

Out
L N
As others have already suggested, what you require is a FCU/DP switch. What you have bought is a intermediate light switch.

You need something like this.

In
L N
Out
L N
That was a double pole switch, not an intermediate.

Either get a double pole switch, or to use the existing one leave the red wires where they are, and connect both black wires together in a separate terminal block.

thanks for the help !

it's actually red tape that's wrapped round the black - but considering whoever did it has put red tape round the bare earths I wouldn't lend any weight to it.

I'll get the new switch - cheers

Delboy, some outside lights with motion sensors actually have an override facility built in, whereby you flick the lightswitch off then on quickly and the light stays on. Have you tried switching it off for say five minutes then switching it back on?? Sometimes the light comes on when you switch it back on but goes off after the timeout limit.

All that operating the switch will be doing is swopping L&N over on the output from the switch so it doesn't switch off, it is the wrong switch for the application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back