Outdoor light problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I had two outdoor lights (with no detectors, they were wired to the same switch, I bought two B&Q Penzance Dual Light Lantern With PIR ES64B and do not seem to be able to get them to work correctly, is it because they are sharing the same switch?

Sponsored Links
The switch shouldn't be a problem. Either the fittings are faulty or you have wired them wrong, can't say any more than that with the information provided.

Thanks for your replies.
I have no idea how to do pictures! I have one light switch the power from which feeds the two security lights. when I turn the switch on sometimes both lights come on (dimmed) and sometimes only 1. Sometimes they seem to detect movement and sometimes they don't! i will probably return them just wanted to know if having them both powered by (and sharing) the same switch might have an adverse effect.

carol

Sponsored Links
Some security lighting has a dim mode as a welcome light. The light will dim when its dark, then someone walks up to it it goes to full brightness.

I assume you have wired the lights correctly?

Have you read the manufacturer's instructions about location, walk testing and setting up the lights?

I have no idea if they are in series, the wiring was already in place, I just removed the old lights (non sensor)and replaced them with the two new lights. I thought this was going to be easy!

:)

At the first light on the line, find the cable going to the second light and dis-connect it. try your remaining light, if if works on full you had them in series.

I have no idea if they are in series, the wiring was already in place, I just removed the old lights (non sensor)and replaced them with the two new lights. I thought this was going to be easy!

:)

Maybe it's time to admit defeat and call in an electrician? Even if you do return the lights and replace them with some other fitting, if you don't understand series/parallel circuits then how can you know you wont wire them incorrectly again?

We're all for helping, but you have to help yourself by providing pictures and a clear description of what you have done, rather than just repeating the same thing over and over again.

A load of pictures of cables is not helpful.

We need to see the connections at the switch and the light.

RTF

a 2 minute Google found the light you have:
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...ndid=9371858&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=266964282

It has motion detector and ambient light sensor which will need to be adjusted to pick the correct light level to come on

It also has a dim light until it detectors movement.

From this are you expecting these lights to switch on and off with you original switch as im guessing they want a perm live

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back