Outdoor pendant lamp - Ip rated lamp holder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My wife purchased a rickety looking old light to go in our porch. Our porch is open to the elements - wind and rain, if travelling in the right direction.

The wiring on this lamp is atrocious and I wouldn't want to connect it up. I therefore want to renew everything.

Do I need to use an IP Rated lamp holder? If so, where can I buy one from, as the only one I can find is this (https://www.essentialsupplies.co.uk/waterproof-pendant-lampholder-es-10m-ip44.html)

Also, is there any issue with using a standard ceiling rose, as again, I cannot find IP rated ones.

Thanks very much.
R

Sponsored Links
FYI - The outdoor lamp is perforated steel. So lots of little holes. Which means, it is possible, the bulb inside could get wet.

That lamp holder appears to be the type that is IP44 only when the lamp fitted is a golf ball or similar. It appears to rely on the rubber skirt fitting tightly against the glass of the lamp to make a water tight seal.

Sponsored Links
That lamp holder appears to be the type that is IP44 only when the lamp fitted is a golf ball or similar.
Isn't that the case for all lampholders ? Can't see any BC or ES lampholder being IP44 without a lamp installed in it :whistle: Even then it's "debatable" since heating/cooling and changes in atmospheric pressure will draw water up past the seal (unless it's a very good seal) which is what I've observed with my outside lights.

I’m wondering if the IP44 refers to wetness spraying upwards towards the lamp.
The OP’s issue may be the cable entry at the top of the lamp holder.

I mean, an IP65 rated downlight is only rated for the underside. You can’t go up in the loft and drop a gallon of water into the top.

IP65 is protection from jetting water in all directions.

upload_2019-7-20_9-59-1.jpeg

When they are mounted in a ceiling and installed in accordance with the MI, then yes. IP66.
But as a unit I don’t think so. These are IP66 rated.
0CDD59F1-AFD4-4CD8-BD87-994490312A0C.jpeg
But the terminal block and the driver circuits are not IP66.

Last edited:
There is a problem with IPx4. While it is protected against splashing, so you'd think it would be OK to be splashed - the spec for the test only requires a short duration. So something that's not what we might consider splashproof might pass simply because it takes longer than teh 5 or 10 minutes (can't remember offhand) required for the test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back