Outdoor socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to spur off an inside ring to fit a socket for my robot lawnmower outside.

Would a standard double socket from the MK Masterseal range be ok or does it need to be RCD active or passive too?

Looks like the MK branded ones aren’t cheap.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Needs to be an RCD socket.

Doesn't have to be an MK one. Personally I find the BG outdoor sockets pretty good and well built

Sponsored Links
Go with the passive.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter,

It's only a minor issue if you have a power tool plugged in and then have a power cut, the tool could restart itself when the power comes back on.

But in reality pretty much all power tools require an operator and a button to be pressed, so it's pretty slim chance of things going wrong

The circuit doesn’t have an RCBO on the board but there is a breaker to the right of it that protects it. Eg... the main switch is an RCD breaker. Photo attached.

C39F0B75-16DE-4215-9DB8-C25ACD1CCFE4.jpeg

If that is the main switch that turns off all circuits then you do not need an RCD socket. One of THESE will do you

Note that it is not best practice to have a single RCD for all circuits because, if there is an earth fault, the house loses all of its power.

Thanks for that, that’s great. Yes, I agree that the single RCD is not great but it’s something we’ve got used to. We’ve got two boards so at least if one trips there’s the other still in operation. Not ideal but without spending a lot of money I guess it’s fine for now.

Budgeting for it to be sorted I guess I should allow for two metal housed consumer units fitted with a load of breakers to work out the rough cost of materials and the a few days labour on top for the swap to be done?

Does that sound about right for an idea of price?

?

Does that sound about right for an idea of price?
Are the two very far apart? If close they could be combined into one. Look at using all RCBO solution.
as for a few days. Two CUs shouldn’t take more than a day.

Anyway, ask the registered electrician that you would be using!

There are many options, and it is up to you, and any electrician you employ which are used. Wylex do a small size RCBO
4766X_P
it may be these will fit in the existing board? the old one
44169_P
was taller and would not physically fit in some boxes, at around £32.50 not cheap, but neither super expensive, swapping the existing RCD for an isolator and using RCBO's is likely an option, I say likely as does depend on earthing type etc.

But new board with cheaper make is also an option, some makes of RCBO are much cheaper at down to £14 but a consumer unit is a type tested distribution board and to keep the type tested label you can't use different makes, down to how jobs worth the electrician is.

As you say MK not cheap, but MK do a RCD socket at 10 mA, again an option, but there are loads of ways of doing the basic same thing. Mothers house two RCD's and 6 RCBO's never had one trip, my old house 2 RCD's would get a bout of tripping then years with no trip, this house are RCBO had trips due to water leaks, but no random trips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back