Outside Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The further on i get with 2330 the more questions i come up with - starting to look a little more closly at my home electrics and wondered if this is ok -
13a fcu spur from downstairs ring feeding swa cable running for approx 1m above head height into consumer in garage running a 6a light circuit and 32a ring - believe house ring is rcd but not sure - is this ok or should it be fed direct from cu in home?

Sponsored Links
The 13A FCU isn't a great idea for feeding a consumer unit with a 32A MCB in it. It would be better fed on its own circuit from a spare way on the CU, what is it used for? In order to put it on its own circuit will mean creating a new circuit which is notifiable to your LABC under part p.
If you press the test button on your RCD and it kills the power to the garage it is on the RCD side.

It was there when i moved in there are 2 lights and 2 double sockets but think apart from the lights only ever charged a cordless drill up etc the rcd is not on that circuit however the cu in garage is on rcd

Sponsored Links
It's not the finest job, but it is reasonably safe, I guess, which is all that the law requires. The RCD arrangements are the right way round.

If you are 2.5m tall then the cable is high enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back