Outside Garden Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Novice needs guidence.

I'm currently using low voltage lights in the garden but don't think they are strong enough.

I had thougt of trying GS05 240v 150w Halogen Ground Spike Floodlight that are available at http://www.thegardenlightingshop.co.uk/?i=55455

Outside I have three double sockets but am concened that I may be overloading the circuit.

I seem to remember that the cable used was 30amp. Does this for mean that I can only connect two 13amp iems and if not how do I calculate what is safe.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A 150w lamp consumes 0.65 Amps. If you intend on leaving this lighting running all night then it will soon become expensive.

Use low energy lighting. LEDs are coming on very well - have a look at some high intensity ones (with 3 LEDs in each capsule)

Sponsored Links
Yes, certainly be easier on the electric bill. But its got an all-in-one CFL - these are the standard in domestic, they replace a standard lamp, but include a ballast and lamp in one unit - it does both functions, but not very well - they take a while to get full brightness.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...light_Index/Floodlights_Smartflood/index.html

See there, all of those fittings have PL fitting. These are just a lamp. The ballast is located in the fitting like a traditional fluorescent lamp. This means both do their job better, both are more durable. I have some PL lights in my kitchen. They come to full brightness very quickly and instant start.

LEDs, whilst still developing, and very expensive, are now coming into their own. My mum just had 6 LE downlights fitted in her bathroom, they cost £120 total. Very bright for only 3 watts each.

I would just like clarification on one thing relating to the amps. Am I correct in assuming that I need not worry about the fuses in calculating the load, it's the consumed amps that I need to consider?

In other words if I use six 150 watt lamps this would equate to 3.9 amps. Will the the 30 amp (armoured) cable cope with this?

I would just like clarification on one thing relating to the amps. Am I correct in assuming that I need not worry about the fuses in calculating the load, it's the consumed amps that I need to consider?

In other words if I use six 150 watt lamps this would equate to 3.9 amps. Will the the 30 amp (armoured) cable cope with this?

The two go hand in hand. If you have a 30A supply that it will have no problem with a 3.9A load, as that is significantly less than 30A. You do need to consider fusing down the cables to the lights themselves, as this will likely be a smaller cable capable of carrying much less than 30A. As you say that you will be powering these lights from outdoor sockets, you should put a 3A fuse in the plug supplying each individual light fitting.

If the lights are going to be any significant distance away from the sockets, you should also consider how you're going to protect the supply cable from spades, rodents and whatever else you might find in the garden.

you should also consider how you're going to protect the supply cable from spades, rodents and whatever else you might find in the garden.
petunia-secateurs.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back