Outside kitchen-sink drain pipe corroded

Polypropylene pipework, that's the effect of UV in sunlight over the last 40 odd years. Only solution is to replace, you wont patch it up as whats left will be too brittle to support tape or any sort of repair. Unless you know the manufacturer it'll be hit and miss trying to get anything compatible with whats left, so you'll need to renew it back to a point where old and new can be joined. Where does it run to the other side of the wall?

It is advised to paint all exterior plastic pipework with a suitable gloss paint to protect it from the UV in sunlight.

Sponsored Links
I did the same for a mate a couple of years ago with a similarly degraded plastic pipe.
I reckon it was the really early plastic whenever that came out (70s?)
replaced it with solvent weld. Peice o’cake, took about as long as drinking 2 cups of tea. Pointless trying to seal it up, it’s knackered

I did the same for a mate a couple of years ago with a similarly degraded plastic pipe.
I reckon it was the really early plastic whenever that came out (70s?)
replaced it with solvent weld. Peice o’cake, took about as long as drinking 2 cups of tea. Pointless trying to seal it up, it’s knackered

Yeah early mid 70s it was built.

You replaced it? So you sawed off the original pipe and then just pipe fitted new pipe using solvent weld? But could I screw in and connect a new pipe?

Polypropylene pipework, that's the effect of UV in sunlight over the last 40 odd years. Only solution is to replace, you wont patch it up as whats left will be too brittle to support tape or any sort of repair. Unless you know the manufacturer it'll be hit and miss trying to get anything compatible with whats left, so you'll need to renew it back to a point where old and new can be joined. Where does it run to the other side of the wall?

It is advised to paint all exterior plastic pipework with a suitable gloss paint to protect it from the UV in sunlight.

It's the kitchen sink pipe.

Sponsored Links
Lucky for you it is push fit and looks to be 40mm, The only tools you will need is a saw to cut the new pipe to size, sandpaper to remove any burrs on the cut pipe and maybe a smear of washing up liquid to grease the push fit joints.

So just saw off the old pipe and push fit a new pipe in? There's no connection to screw a new pipe into.

Easy enough, 90° bend and length of pipe maybe a couple of pipe clips.
If the pipe is rotten going through the cavity it will need replaced as well...if you are lucky it may twist out in one piece once disconnected from the sink.

it looks like there's hardly anything to be able to connect a new pipe to once i get rid of the rotted part. .

Yeah early mid 70s it was built.

You replaced it? So you sawed off the original pipe and then just pipe fitted new pipe using solvent weld? But could I screw in and connect a new pipe?

repaced the whole lot from kitchen sink trap. Just went straight out the trap, couple of offset bends and through the wall. V quick and easy

A local builder has offered to do this job but he says he doesn't need access to the kitchen. Is that possible?

Thanks.

Maybe, unless the horizontal piece through the wall is knackered too.

Maybe, unless the horizontal piece through the wall is knackered too.

It's been replaced, as follows;
luke pipe.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back