Outside light off internal light curcuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am away at the momment, and my parents are having some work done.

Outside light fitting. With an internal switch.

They have been quoted to take a feed of of spare room light, trunk across cieling and down wall to a switch, then drill through wall to new light.

Any suggestions that this is the right way to do this? I would of thought the feed off the light to the switch will need independant fuse / rcd protection?

thanks in advance

Regards

M.A.

Sponsored Links
Surface trunking is a pretty gash way of doing it.

No need for separate fusing etc - I assume it's not some monstrous high power floodlight?

I would always use a double pole switch in case water causes N/E leakage which trips the RCD.

Ascetically that's rubbish.

Why not fit a fused spur adjacent to a socket on the 1st floor room wall that faces the outside area. Then pop a hole through the back box of the spur and fit a pir controlled light or use the fs as a switch?

Or feed from the loft go through the Eve's and outside, run down the outside to then come back in to a switch and then back out and on to the fitting.

Outside fittings can become rcd trip potentials due to moisture and environmental circumstances, good practice is a double pole isolation.

Trunking across the ceiling sounds unnecessary. Your post also implies the switch is going to be in the spare bedroom, which sounds inconvenient to say the least. I'm sure a decent electrician could find a much better way.

Sponsored Links
As already touched on double pole switch is recommended when taking internal circuits to external equipment.
Although in domestic installs, visible trunking is not particular aesthetically pleasing.
It maybe that this method is being used as no easy access to ceiling void and also to eliminate the requirement for RCD protection. Looks pants though!

One way to power an outside light, as others have suggested, is taking a fused spur off a ring final circuit, with a 3amp fuse and a Double Pole switch and Neon Indicator supplying the outside light(s).

In one house, I ran a feed from the downstairs ring final circuit, onto a wall mounted DP switched 3amp fused connecton unit with a Neon Indicator, and onto the outside lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back