Outside Light Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings,

I currently have an outside light that switches on/off via a internal switch. I'd much prefer to have a PIR outside security light instead of the current silly thing.

My question is can I just remove the current light and wire up a outside light? Or is it far more complicated?

Picture of current grotty light incase that helps,

cheers :)

Sponsored Links
My question is can I just remove the current light and wire up a outside light? Or is it far more complicated?
Oh, you have chosen the wrong word. ;)

You are allowed to.

It is possible.

Judging by the questions on the forum, whether you can or not is impossible to say.

Which light fitting you could attach really depends upon the circuit which is feeding the existing one.

A floodlight should not be attached to a lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links
Which light fitting you could attach really depends upon the circuit which is feeding the existing one.

A floodlight should not be attached to a lighting circuit.

D'oh.

I'm guessing it's a lighting circuit currently.

What I should have put really I suppose is; does this job need a sparky or is a simple case of remove silly light and hook up new one; which apparently it's not! :(

If, as a DIYer, I may impudently interject (ooh err) to pre-empt a pointless discussion, Securespark means "should" in the practical sense rather than the legal sense, no? Putting up a 500w floodlight on a lighting circuit would take up c 30% of the available power.

But I guess you knew that EFL? :D

If, as a DIYer, I may impudently interject (ooh err) to pre-empt a pointless discussion, Securespark means "should" in the practical sense rather than the legal sense, no? Putting up a 500w floodlight on a lighting circuit would take up c 30% of the available power.

But I guess you knew that EFL? :D
As EFL intimated earlier it would be wrong to make assumptions (which you are here) based on the limited information provided.
Your assumption is based on?
6Amp MCB?
1mm Cable?
Multiple lights on the circuit?
Whereas we could have one light on the circuit, 10Amp MCB, 1.5mm cable.
This is where the DIYer making assumptions can get things badly wrong. You are not impudent because it is a valid point to raise but remember circuit design is an integral part of the installation.
As an aside a 500w lamp would breach the Control of Pollution Act whose guidelines now steer people to less than 120w.

Greetings,

I currently have an outside light that switches on/off via a internal switch. I'd much prefer to have a PIR outside security light instead of the current silly thing.
The answer to your question is yes you could simply replace your outside light with a PIR controlled version - however you will need to ensure that the current switch and outside light have both live and neutral (possibly cpc) available.
The PIR lamps manufacturers instructions may also state that the light unit must be placed on a 3Amp fuse in which case, provided you have the live neutral and cpc, you could simply replace your current (single gang) light switch with a switched Fused Connection Unit.

All duly noted .... though a little unfair given what was meant to be a light-hearted comment. The point I made was self-contained and a rejoinder to a general statement that has been discussed many times on this forum. I wasnt making, nor did I need to make any assumptions about anything.

Greetings,

You can providing you do not alter or overload the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back