Outside light wiring q's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I am planning to run a spur from a socket to the shed to supply an external socket (IP65) over a distance of approx 15 metres. Is this feasable or should it be on a separate circuit?

Also, we will be putting 5-6 lights in the garden. Having had solar powered ones before which were poor to say the least. So we've decided to go for mains powered as they would be brighter. From what I have read I should run them to a FSU then into the main ring. My main concern is overloading any circuits. Is this likely?

Many thanks, Jim

Sponsored Links
Hi Jim,

Obviously its hard to be specific without knowing a lot more about your setup (usual disclaimers so don't sue me if it doesn't work, etc..)

In general, I see no reason why a spur to the external socket should be a problem - the only issue will be choice of cable and ensuring the voltage drop is acceptable - I don't have my brain turned on at the moment so I'll let someone else work that out :)

I would recommend doing it in SWA, although the terminations can be much trickier if you are not used to doing them. If not the cable will have to be protected in a trench or other mechanical protection.

Needless to say the circuit you spur from should be rcd protected, if not (it should be if it could provide power to hand held tools in the garden) then you would have to run the spur from an RCD spur unit.

The lighting load will depend on the lamps used, but I would doubt that it will overload your circuit, unless it is already near the edge.

The instructions for them vary, but you are right in that you will probably need to add an FCU (appropriately fused) into the ring and then run the wire to that. Having said that, a lot of garden lights come with a transformer which is just plugged into a suitable socket inside...

Hope that Helps

Gavin

Unless it means much more distruption to the decor of the house etc, I'd take it back to the CU, its going to be notifiable regardless, so you may as well go the extra distance, however I suppose you could use an FCU on the ring, wouldn't be my chosen way of doing it though.

RCD protection is going to be neccesary for the S/O so keep that in mind, onto the cable, done a quick calculation for you, and 3C 2.5mm² SWA will be adequate on a 20A circuit, providing you keep the sub circuits from the CU short in length, if these lights are going to be post light all over the garden, then it'll probably be better to use 4mm² from house to shed

as the poster above says, SWA is probably a tad awkward to make off if you haven't done it before, but luckily you don't need any special tools, a sharp knife, hacksaw and a pair of largish adjustable spanners are really whats required, could do with a pair of crimping pliers as well though to put a 'hoop' end on to make the connetion to the earthing tag though

Thanks for the repies guys.

Think I'm getting there now (can you tell electrics isn't my trade, lol).

You mention it being notifiable. What makes it notifiable? Would a single security light also be notifiable? Or is it the amount of lights etc?

Cheers again, jim

Sponsored Links
Its the fact that it is outside, which is classed as a special location and therefor work is notifiable.

RF Lighting said:
Its the fact that it is outside, which is classed as a special location and therefor work is notifiable.

I'm sure you're right.

Every house in the UK with an outside light or other electrical appliance has to be notified? What happens if it's not? I find it hard to believe everyone declares it.

RF Lighting said:
Its the fact that it is outside, which is classed as a special location

No it's not.

There are 3 special locations, viz:
1. Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin
2. Swimming pools or paddling pools
3. Hot air saunas.

Maybe you're getting mixed up with Special Installations, which include garden lighting or power installations. These are notifiable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back