Outside Lighting Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone could confirm the following wiring modification would be correct.

The cct from consumer unit is the downstairs lighting circuit which currently has 1 outside light connected to it. I plan to add another light powered from the same external terminal box as in the picture, the new light and pir will be attached to external wall of house. (Of course the earth runs throughout the circuit.)

Also, would the addition of an outside light require RCD protection on the lighting circuit? (The light will be approximately 2m high from the ground and is metallic).

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Hi, how is the existing light controlled ?

Regards,

DS

The existing light is controlled by an integrated PIR on the light fitting.
If it makes any difference, the existing fitting is 10W LED and the proposed is 12W led bulb.

The external terminal box is fed from a permanent live in the lighting circuit, there is no internal switch to turn the outside light off (should there be?).

One thing to be aware of is that, since you are in Wales, this would be 'notifiable' work, since it is an extension to an outdoor lighting installation. That being the case, if you wanted to comply with the law, it would probably be cheaper for you to employ a 'self-certifying' electrician to do the work than to pay the LABC notification fee if you did the work yourself.

Either that or move to England, where the work would not be notifiable :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
No, what you propose would be fine,but you require RCD protection as the light is external. If your CU is new you can retro fit an 6a rcbo.

Regards,

DS

No, what you propose would be fine,but you require RCD protection as the light is external. If your CU is new you can retro fit an 6a rcbo.

Regards,

DS

Thanks both of you, I thought England and Wales regs on notifiable work was the same :eek: although I do know it is notifiable work anyway.

I was thinking that it should really have RCD protection but wasnt sure, it is a relatively old style CU but I think standard MCBs from new CUs will fit? so would this RCBO fit?
While I'm protecting the downstairs lighting CCT I may as well protect the upstairs as well with 1 RCD?

Particularly if the OP provides RCD/RCBO protection to the circuit, I would personally always be inclined to advise an indoor double-pole switch, to enabled the outdoor bits to be isolated should they fill up with water and cause the RCD/RCBO to trip (taking out the rest of the lighting circuit, if not more). A control switch also offers the opportunity to activate the 'on'-over-ride facility of the PIR(s), if they have it.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks both of you, I thought England and Wales regs on notifiable work was the same :eek: although I do know it is notifiable work anyway.
No. Until April 2013, there was a common set of 'notification rules' for England and Wales, under which the extension of an outdoor lighting (or power) circuit was notifiable. However, in April 2013, the requirements for notification in England were considerably watered down (such that little remains notifiable), but Wales has so far stuck with the original rules.

Kind Regards, John

Hi, if can post a picture of your CU we can advise if a rcbo can be fitted.

The alternative is to fit an RCD fuse connection unit into your supply feed to your external lights.

Kind regards,

DS

Well is an RCD required in this instance? (for an additional outside light wall mounted)

I was thinking of adding an RCD anyway on a safety aspect rather than for just meeting the regs.

Well is an RCD required in this instance? (for an additional outside light wall mounted)
Not, specifically for a light; nor if your new cable is visible (not concealed without mechanical protection).

I was thinking of adding an RCD anyway on a safety aspect rather than for just meeting the regs.
You may of course do that but it would definitely be more beneficial to install one on the socket circuit.

Existing cable is flex clipped direct to external wall with no additional mechanical protection
socket circuits are protected by a rccd

Existing cable is flex clipped direct to external wall with no additional mechanical protection
If this entire circuit (both indoor and outdoor bits) were being installed now, there would be a requirement for the circuit to be RCD protected if any of the internal parts of the circuit were buried (less than 50mm deep) in walls. However, the regulations are not 'retrospective', so that requirement would probably not apply if you were merely extending the outside bits of the circuit (with non-buried cable).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back