Fitting outside lights

it will be 1 metre or so above some decking.

That's possibly in the region of getting whacked by the back of a chair territory I'd say. So, some risk.

Maybe stick with the conduit idea after all.

Gaz :)

Sponsored Links
That's possibly in the region of getting whacked by the back of a chair territory I'd say. So, some risk.

Maybe stick with the conduit idea after all.

Gaz :)

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I will get some plastic conduit as it looks easier to fit.

Thanks

Doug

Plastic conduit expands and contracts with temperature by noticeable amounts, and when it gets warm enough (which yours will) softens enough to sag easily.

Can you run the cable up the wall indoors to the right height and then go through the old chimney straight out onto the wall with the lights on?

Plastic conduit expands and contracts with temperature by noticeable amounts, and when it gets warm enough (which yours will) softens enough to sag easily.

Can you run the cable up the wall indoors to the right height and then go through the old chimney straight out onto the wall with the lights on?

I could do that although I think drilling through the chimney twice would be challenging.

I might get hold of a tap and use the galv conduit and use special corner pieces to go round the corners.

What type of cable would be appropriate for use in this?

Thanks

Doug

Sponsored Links
I could do that although I think drilling through the chimney twice would be challenging.
You'd need a good SDS drill and a selection of long bits.

I might get hold of a tap
Die.

COSDG.JPG

Conduit is threaded on the outside

Conduit_Galv_zoom.jpg

A tap cuts a thread inside something

B_2015_2_6_14_27_55.jpg

What type of cable would be appropriate for use in this?
Single core.

Super, thanks for your help. I'm sure someone I know has one of those.

Doug

RCD's are not required for external lighting, and are not advised due to problems with nuisance tripping due to dampness.

Unfortunately your post has been hijacked by the obnoxious troll BAS. This means many people who could give you good advice won't bother, including me. sorry, but good bye
Big question there

RCD's are recommended for outside lighting due to the higher risk of electric shock from a damaged or water saturated outdoor lamp(s) and/or cabling. The RCD protecting the outside lamp(s) should not also protect other essential ciruits inside the house. Loss of internal lights due to a damaged external lamps is not good ( sudden darkeness ) but loss of power to sockets would present a far smaller hazard and would be acceptable. Also strongly recommended is a double pole switch to fully isolate the external lamps and wiring when damage to them is causing an RCD to trip and disconnect other circuits in the house.

Big question there

RCD's are recommended for outside lighting due to the higher risk of electric shock from a damaged or water saturated outdoor lamp(s) and/or cabling. The RCD protecting the outside lamp(s) should not also protect other essential ciruits inside the house. Loss of internal lights due to a damaged external lamps is not good ( sudden darkeness ) but loss of power to sockets would present a far smaller hazard and would be acceptable. Also strongly recommended is a double pole switch to fully isolate the external lamps and wiring when damage to them is causing an RCD to trip and disconnect other circuits in the house.
You are wrong, for the reasons I have given. Who is/has made these recommendations?

RCD's are not required for external lighting, and are not advised due to problems with nuisance tripping due to dampness.

You are wrong, for the reasons I have given. Who is/has made these recommendations?

If an outside lamp is damp then the tripping of the RCD is not a nuisance. It is a sign that there is a fault that needs to be attended to.

Common sense and basic safety awareness is why RCD protection is recommended for external lamps provided that loss of power due to an RCD tripped by an external circuit does NOT create a hazard elsewhere. Best option is for external circuits to be fed from an RCBO in the CU so that no other ciruit os afefcted by faulty external circuits.

If an outside lamp is damp then the tripping of the RCD is not a nuisance. It is a sign that there is a fault that needs to be attended to.

Common sense and basic safety awareness is why RCD protection is recommended for external lamps provided that loss of power due to an RCD tripped by an external circuit does NOT create a hazard elsewhere. Best option is for external circuits to be fed from an RCBO in the CU so that no other ciruit os afefcted by faulty external circuits.
It's a simple question - Who is/has made these recommendations?

Common sense and basic safety awareness is why RCD protection is recommended for external lamps

Think about it for a minute. End of conversation.

Common sense and basic safety awareness is why RCD protection is recommended for external lamps

Think about it for a minute. End of conversation.

I don't need to think it about it. You are guessing and won't admit you are wrong. That is why you can't quote any reg or official recommendation, because they don't exist.

People are free to recommend things which exceed the bare minimum of to-the-letter compliance.
Not only free to recommend, but have a duty to do so in the interests of increased safety.

A lot of truth bending going on here, your statements are correct. But the implication of bernards statements imply he is "quoting" from an official document or reg. He is not, he is expressing a personal opinion, and should therefore make it clear in any statement that it is his personal opinion. As an example, if I was asked what size cable should be used for domestic lighting, I would advise 1.5mm because I think 1.0 cable lacks mechanical strength. But I would not try to imply that this was some kind of reg or official requirement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back